Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about taking unregistered dogs to a dog show

A couple of my friends are showing in obedience at the shows in Salisbury, MD. I'd like to take Brooks and go watch, however the premium says "no space for unentered dogs". I'm not sure how to interpret this. I like to think it means no crate space for unentered dogs. I can also see where it could mean no unentered dogs allowed in the venue?

Can anyone give me a read on what this means????

Generally, unentered dogs are not allowed at dogs shows. This tells me that they are not allowed at this show, the rule is generally not enforced very well, but the fact that it states "no room for unentered dogs" tells me there may not actually be much space at this show, and they may check you.

Thats my take on it at least

Senior Dog
    I think in this case (I have friends showing down there) it’s mostly about the crate space, but do be prepared as when there isn’t much crate space, there isn’t much walking around space either so it might not be the best spot for an excitable puppy. These things are almost never enforced, but if it is really crowded, then someone might complain. The other thing is, I don’t know if you are using a prong on him, but they are not allowed on show grounds for any AKC show.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (11-10-2016), windycanyon (11-12-2016)

Is this an east coast thing? I've never seen such a thing around here. If there is limited crating, they say so. There are times I see a notice for no non-entered dogs allowed on site, but I've always assume that has to do with the general public thinking that a show is a doggie fun time for their pets.

If you can manage him without a prong, you could possible just go, park and acclimate him from the parking lot, see if you can get five minutes of engagement from him, lots of rewards and fun, then pack up and go. It's still a show atmosphere in many regards. Guess it depends on the parking situation though.

He's fine without a prong, we've been to a dock diving and hunt test over the past two weeks without a prong, and he was generally pretty good. All things considered he is very good around other dogs, it's people who get him excited, and he's getting better with that.

I'm just hesitant to drive 65 miles one way and not be able to go in. I showed three days at this venue last year with Bruce, and it's pretty tight back in the obedience/rally area. I'd give him very little leeway, and if he's bad, we'd leave immediately. I may just go without him, as they do have many good vendors at the show and I could do a bit of shopping. If I don't take him, we may go the the Water Fowl Festival in Easton and wander around on Sunday. I'm just trying to get him out with places with a lot of people and dogs. Not to many places around here to do that.

Senior Dog
    Yeah, I’ve heard the shopping is really good at the Salisbury shows. That’s the whole reason I entered a trial at Valley Forge in December - I was going to take a break until January (after doing 8 shows in October) but it supposedly has great shopping, LOL.

I want to get something for my trainer as a thank you for everything. If Chloe can manage to qualify both classes with her usual scores (even on the low range for her) in December, she would have gone from no UD legs, to 21 OTCH points, 3 Open B 1st, a High Combined and a UDX1.5 and OM2 in less than a year. She’s at 14 UDX legs and only needs 16 OM points from either class to get to OM2. Even if she doesn’t, it’s still been a great year!
    Annette

And remembering:

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (11-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Yeah, I’ve heard the shopping is really good at the Salisbury shows. That’s the whole reason I entered a trial at Valley Forge in December - I was going to take a break until January (after doing 8 shows in October) but it supposedly has great shopping, LOL.

I want to get something for my trainer as a thank you for everything. If Chloe can manage to qualify both classes with her usual scores (even on the low range for her) in December, she would have gone from no UD legs, to 21 OTCH points, 3 Open B 1st, a High Combined and a UDX1.5 and OM2 in less than a year. She’s at 14 UDX legs and only needs 16 OM points from either class to get to OM2. Even if she doesn’t, it’s still been a great year!
    I don't care what anyone says, that's a very good year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got a text from my friend, she had a 197 in Utility, and a 194 in Open. She needs a 192 tomorrow for an OTCH!!

I've decided to not go, and do the Waterfowl Festival instead.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (11-11-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, that's a very good year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got a text from my friend, she had a 197 in Utility, and a 194 in Open. She needs a 192 tomorrow for an OTCH!!

I've decided to not go, and do the Waterfowl Festival instead.
    Are you sure she needs a 192 for an OTCH? OTCH is based solely on defeating other dogs, not on scores so there’s no way of knowing what score you need. Were you thinking of an Obedience Master title (OM)? That one is based on scores ....
    Annette

And remembering:

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Are you sure she needs a 192 for an OTCH? OTCH is based solely on defeating other dogs, not on scores so there’s no way of knowing what score you need. Were you thinking of an Obedience Master title (OM)? That one is based on scores ....
    It's possible I misunderstood her text, but yes now that you mention it, I knew that points were awarded based on placings and the overall number of dogs entered.

It's pretty standard to have the premium say no unentered dogs. Depends on the place too. If it's in a public park, there is no way to enforce that. If it's in an event center, if you have to pay a fee to enter as a spectator and you have a dog, I bet you'll be stopped. So many folks I know bring their young unentered dogs to get them used to the sounds. My feelings, if you know he won't be a nuisance and you don't mind keeping him with you on leash all the time, why not. Doubt you'll be the ONLY one. I don't know what they meant about crates, that's a new one.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos