How Far Back Would Your Dog Run?

Most of our off leash walks start with a short leashed portion. I don't expect obedience class heeling position but I do expect good leash manners and that includes no pulling. Sheesh, there must have been something smelling REALLY good in the grass because Oban just dove for it. I backed up a few steps, stopped, waiting for the heel position I do expect when he pulls and before I let him off the leash and it took hours. Well probably only minutes but I had to do it over and over and over before he would walk by that spot on a loose leash without pulling to that sniff. And when I finally did let him off leash at his usual letting off spot he raced back for more of that sniff. About 100 feet back. Not far enough to be dangerously close to the road but it made me wonder just how far he might go. How far would your pup go?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Mine are usually on leash anymore but the times when they're loose, once I break their hold on a smell ("leave it" "let's go"), they're done. Our smells might not be as good as yours.

I guess a female in heat marked that place.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Tux's downfall is his nose. There are certain bluffy (cliffs) areas that I don't even let him off leash b/c I can see him not necessarily going far from me, but following his nose and walking right over the edge of a cliff b/c he's so focused on the scent. We do have acres of private property that we do off leash hiking on, and he will get pretty focused and intent on some smells. I usually will just keep walking, and once I get to a certain point I yell "bye Tux, I'm leaving!", and then he will usually pick his head up and beeline for me. One of those things where I would never say his recall is 100% reliable mainly b/c of his nose and how he gets so focused on certain scents. We do off leash activities b/c I do think the benefit outweighs what I perceive as a small risk, and I am pretty careful about where we go (mainly that we are away from roads and cliffs) and most of the time we are on our own private property and he does know the boundaries there. He is a lab mix and sometimes I wonder if he has bloodhound or something in him.

There are times when "mild mannered" Archie is a stinker on the leash, the entire walk used up in training. Other times, he's an angel. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason other than his nose knows. When he's off leash, he's very good about staying close and/or coming immediately on recall.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I walk Opie in open desert and he does come on command and I use "tight" as heal and he's good. What me and Opie battle with is when I grab the truck keys he's ready to GO!!! Outside, I'll have him sit on the doorstep and we start, he runs to the truck, I stop and back up to the door step and we try it again. It is taking less times, (he's getting the idea) but he's so so excited!

yeah....penny would take off after birds regularly (thus lost offleash privilege) and Rocky goes pretty far off as well (again, very little off leash time). Hard to say exactly how far they would go - I suspect based on a few experiences Penny wasn't THAT far but it's wooded and I never know where she is and I can't stand that. Rocky similarly - in a very large field he absolutely does the perimeter. In the forest he's just off to his own drummer.

Worked hard on recall with both but apparently I really really suck at training recall

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos