Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brings me to my next question- rude?

So the other night we're at dd's cheerleading practice. My friend is there ( her child is cheering too) she is always very strict with her children and we parent completely differently. Our kids are different people. While I tend to be conscious of my tone & what/how I say things to kids ( because I want them to experience respect) she is more....stern, no respect. Like the girls wanted to climb the bleachers to say hi to another girl they knew up there during a break ( it was only 4 rows & not filled with people) she said to her dd "where do you think you are going?! you get down NOW! " I said to mine " be careful & then go right back when coach is ready" to which she replied "ok" and got down & went back to wait for the coach to begin again. Next break they went up again. I didn't say anything to my dd because I didn't feel it was necessary-they weren't doing anything wrong. They were taking a break & all the girls were going up no one was bothered by it but my friend. She turns to my dd & says " uh uh-where are you going? you need to get down & rejoin your group" I was a bit annoyed. She didn't say it as stern as she did to her kid, but still...I don't ever take charge of anyone's kids-I'd only say anything if there was danger.

I think thats overstepping boundaries a bit. She is your daughter, you call the shots.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-19-2014)

Unless you have an agreement to correct each other's kids, she overstepped. If it bothered her so much, she should have said something to you, not your dd.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

It's a shame she parents with such a heavy hand. But, she has no right to correct your DD.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Wow some people are clueless, she was out of line.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

I don't have kids yet but I imagine I'd probably just calmly say something like "it's ok, I told her she could" and try to leave it at that.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

Daisy and Miia (06-19-2014), MontananDakota (06-19-2014), sparky (06-19-2014)

thanks everyone....I know I feel it was totally out of line and I often cringe when she speaks to her kids. She wants them to be perfect & kids just need to be kids. I just didn't know what to say so I said nothing & told my dd not to worry about it but she was upset because she felt like she got in trouble but didn't do anything wrong. I'm going to see her today & I was contemplating saying something but I just don't know what to say. The moment has passed but I feel like I need to let her know that's not ok. Cant i say something in a round about way without addressing that incident? Like ..." I don't like when others correct my child..."

Maybe something like - Hey remember last time when you told the girls not to go up on the bleachers at cheer practice, you're so great with your kids, but next time I'd prefer if you defer to me when allowing/not allowing DD to do something. No biggie I just like to be the one to do it.

Yes something along those lines....close....

Maybe just mention you were reading some article online about parents and kids and the topic came up about disciplining other people's children. Then say something along the lines of I'd be upset if someone did that without seeing if it was okay with me.
    Katie and Kain
    Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kain's Mommy For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos