Puppy

Funny Eating Behavior

Hello all! Long time no chat! Been a busy, uh, 6 months!

Anyhow, silly doggie question! Our older dog has a funny eating ritual. Firstly, there's no food jealousy or problems with him and our younger dog. But here's an example: we'll put food in Diamond's bowl (dry kibble, and sometimes he won't eat for a while afterwards), and say our younger dog, my husband and I are in the other room. Diamond decides he wants to eat, and what he does is he'll go grab a mouthful, bring it TO us in the living room, then eat it.

I know about the instinctual behavior to take the kibble AWAY and eat it, but he's bringing it TO us and the other dog. I sometimes wonder if he just doesn't want to eat alone (which doesn't happen a lot, really). Sometimes he actually brings it right to our younger dog, so maybe he's just very good at sharing.

I hate to eat alone in a restaurant, maybe Diamond is the same? I bet he follows you to the bathroom too.

Seriously, how old is the younger dog? Even some males will take food to puppies. What does the younger dog do? It all sounds terribly cute, now. I'd just be keeping on eye out in case one of them oversteps a boundary.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (11-22-2016)

That's an interesting thing to do with his food. Sometimes Chase will bring a toy or a rawhide he's chewing on near where Lark is lying down and just stand there staring at her. It seems like he's trying to get her attention for some reason. If she goes for the toy or rawhide, and by "goes for" I mean if she snatches it right out of his mouth and runs off with it, he doesn't object, just stands there like Eeyore, "Thanks for noticing me". I can't tell if he wants her to play with him and I'm not sure why he wouldn't give chase if that was his intention. I thought maybe he wanted the bed she was on and decided that's how he'd get her to move but who knows? He's a boy who loves his meals so I don't think he'd actually bring her food. Does you younger dog react to him coming over with food? Does Diamond just drop it on the floor and then eat it? I don't have an answer, just curious!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (11-22-2016)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I hate to eat alone in a restaurant, maybe Diamond is the same? I bet he follows you to the bathroom too.

Seriously, how old is the younger dog? Even some males will take food to puppies. What does the younger dog do? It all sounds terribly cute, now. I'd just be keeping on eye out in case one of them oversteps a boundary.
    Diamond actually DOES follow me to the bathroom, most times! He'll lie on the floor outside the door and wait for me. Our younger dog is just over a year and a half now. Honestly, he doesn't do anything when Diamond brings the food over. He'll just watch him, haha.

Poor Diamond is only eating alone at these times because sometimes he'll wait HOURS to eat his food (he's always done that; eat on his own schedule) and we're not always in the room when he decides it's time!

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    That's an interesting thing to do with his food. Sometimes Chase will bring a toy or a rawhide he's chewing on near where Lark is lying down and just stand there staring at her. It seems like he's trying to get her attention for some reason. If she goes for the toy or rawhide, and by "goes for" I mean if she snatches it right out of his mouth and runs off with it, he doesn't object, just stands there like Eeyore, "Thanks for noticing me". I can't tell if he wants her to play with him and I'm not sure why he wouldn't give chase if that was his intention. I thought maybe he wanted the bed she was on and decided that's how he'd get her to move but who knows? He's a boy who loves his meals so I don't think he'd actually bring her food. Does you younger dog react to him coming over with food? Does Diamond just drop it on the floor and then eat it? I don't have an answer, just curious!
    Diamond will literally just drop it on the floor, then eat it. Funny though, they both do when you said Chase does. They'll being each other toys. Most times it's to initiate play... and other times I am SURE it's for the other reason... they want the other's spot! Though when our younger dog is scared of something, Diamond will bring him a toy then, too. They're too stinking cute together.

Senior Dog
    My M has done this since she was a puppy. She will bring a mouthful in to the living room put it down and eat it one kibble at a time. She doesn't mind sharing with the other dogs. This morning I laughed when she dropped the mouthful on the couch beside me and Luna quickly gobbled up most of it. M just went back and got another mouthful. I often find little piles of kibble on the couch. M never eats a full meal from her bowl.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (11-22-2016)

Sounds like it's typical of some dogs although none of mine have done that. They're such chow hounds.

A couple of thoughts came to mind. Do you use raised bowls? The bringing the kibble to you and "literally just drop it on the floor", does he lay down to eat it? I would think some kind of discomfort bending his head down to the floor. Though you do say "it" so I assume you are referring to the kibble and not him.

Do you add warm water to the kibble? That will enhance the odor/flavor and make it more tempting. Also, make sure there are no mouth/teeth problems.

Otherwise, you have a dog who does not like to eat alone and also likes to share.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Awww Diamond sounds so sweet not wanting to eat alone. Mine all eat at one time
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos