Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite Christmas Cookie

I am doing a Christmas cookie exchange this weekend and need to make 6 dozen cookies. But I have no idea what kind to make. Suggestions?
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

House Broken
    These are my husband's favorite.

Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies Recipe - Food.com

I just made these and they were amazing. Super soft and fluffy Pumpkin Cookies With Brown Sugar Frosting - Creme De La Crumb

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

You can never go wrong with the Neslte Tollhouse cookies. I have to make multiple double batches every year to fill all the requests from family and friends. Not sure why but everyone says mine are the best ever, and they want to know what I do different because theirs never come out like mine. I follow the recipe to the letter except the addition of 1/4 cup of flour and I use plain (no salt) Plugra butter, a very high quality European style butter. It's expensive, but I use it exclusively for baking.

I do variations using white chocolate chips, or some of the others that are available, plus different nuts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (12-01-2016)

Quaker Oats cookies. So many varsities, raisin, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, dried cherries, craisins, dried apricots or peaches.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Can't vouch for them yet but I'm going to try these. Our local Loblaws (and the Zehrs before it became Loblaws) has the most wonderful lemon, cranberry, oatmeal cookies. So far I've been unable to duplicate them but these are no bake and maybe they will work.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I have a lot of favorites but my current favorite to make is Sugared Shortbread, a recipe I got from the New York Times. I like it because you can whip up the cookie in the time it takes your oven to heat. They bake in the pan, then you slice them while warm. I lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper that I leave hanging over the top edge of the pan. You could sprinkle red or green sugar on top. During non-holiday times I use other colors or just white. I got some rice flour- Bob's Red Mill. I haven't tried them subbing flour for the rice flour and the recipe suggests subbing corn starch for the rice flour. I cut them in half across the middle then into 9 narrow cookies the other way to get about 18 cookies per batch. Four batches and you're done if you need 6 dozen. I also use Plugra or another type of European butter. If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they have some of their own European style butter that's usually less expensive than the Plugra or KerryGold and very tasty. I've attached the recipe below but if you do an internet search for Sugared Shortbread cookies, it's the NYTimes article you want. I bet you could double the recipe and bake them in a 9" X 13" pan, just use a metal pan with square edges and corners.

What I really, really like, and it's a bit different from your usual holiday cookies is Rosemary Shortbread. I have made them from an Epicurious recipe (Rosemary Shortbread recipe | Epicurious.com) but next time I think I'll try adding the chopped fresh rosemary to the shortbread recipe below. If you use the Epicurious recipe, I don't roll it out into 2 discs, I pat it out into one large rectangle and cut them into narrow fingers after they're baked. I don't do anything decorative on top but hey, feel free! My adult kids love them.

Sorry the recipe looks so crazy, I tried to cut and paste and the formatting carried over and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Sugared Shortbread

INGREDIENTS

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup rice flour

1/4 cup sugar , more as needed

1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

16 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 cup), melted and cooled
    PREPARATION

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.

In a bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar and salt. Stir in the butter. Press dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with sugar while warm and slice; cool completely.
    Last edited by smartrock; 12-01-2016 at 04:25 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-03-2016)

Senior Dog
    People go crazy for these snickerdoodles: Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Snickerdoodles are one of my faves for cookie exchanges. I use Mrs. Field's Snickerdoodle recipe- soft and fluffy.

I just found my grandmothers oatmeal raisin recipe. It calls for lard. I have never purchased lard in my life. No wonder these cookies were so delicious.

Buckeyes.

Absolute best cookie ever.

Buckeyes I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos