Were There Twelve?

The funny things that prompt precious memories. Went for some groceries before the big snow storm hits and the eggs made me think of my Mum. When she and I were shopping one day I was checking the eggs as I always do by moving them with my thumb and forefinger to see if any were broken. I figured if they broke they stuck to the bottom of the carton, if they move then they're not broken. Mum watched me and when I was finished and looked up she asked me, absolutely deadpan serious, "Were there 12?" All the eggs were ok but we broke up laughing.

Today my sleeve hid part of the carton so I started counting and got further, AND ONE WAS MISSING. There weren't 12. There were only 11. And I hooted out loud. No tears but I was close.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

barry581 (12-08-2016), Blackboy98 (12-09-2016)

What a great memory! And for the record, I do the same thing when I buy eggs.

Precious memory!

I do the same thing. Went shopping with my daughter and saw her do it and I asked why. She said because she always saw me do it.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I do this too!

I have had several people ask me if they are all there, (the carton is full) then why do I count them? I am not counting! LOL I hate getting home with broken eggs, so I do it every time.

I do it, too. Why would they think you're counting? A dozen isn't a flexible amount!

I check this too, just to see if they are broken.

However, this also reminded me of a few other things my mom did with eggs that I also would torment her with too. The door of the fridge had a egg holder in. When she got home she would dutifully take the eggs one by one out of the carton, write the complete date with a pencil on the egg shell, Month, day and year, then put it on the door. This is so she knew eggs weren't old. Much to her frustration her evil son, me, would wash the eggs in water on occasion. Quick wash in the kitchen faucet and the pencil marks were gone. I used to also give her a hard time. Why was the year needed? If eggs were in there for more than a year we had other issues.

She also had this like old antique wire basket shaped like a chicken. It was purely for decoration. She bought these plastic eggs and would put them in it with some fake straw so it looked like an eggs nest in a wire chicken. I would sometimes take those eggs out and place them in the door along with the real eggs. Sometimes I would wait for her to find them. Sometimes when she was in the kitchen if I went to get a drink out of the fridge I would grab one and toss it to her. Much to her surprise when she caught a fake egg.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos