Puppy

Introducting a puppy to the home of a senior dog

Hi all,

Daisy dog is new to our home just August. Some of you may remember I've posted about her. She's a 7 year old (just barely senior...or do we count 9 as senior?) Well, anyway, she's a retired breeding dog. I'm not impressed with the breeder from where we got her based on the way they handled this rehoming, but regardless, Daisy is happy. We love her and she is getting used to us. She sleeps with the kids (most of the time) and she's just the best.

We are wondering about what it might be like to have a younger lab too. A puppy is our preference. But we wonder how Daisy will react. All of her puppies were taken away. Wills he become very protective (to the point of it being unsafe?) or will she harm the puppy?

Any insights? Also breeder recommendations in British Columbia?

Regards,

Abby

Quote Originally Posted by Daisydog View Post
    Hi all,

Daisy dog is new to our home just August. Some of you may remember I've posted about her. She's a 7 year old (just barely senior...or do we count 9 as senior?) Well, anyway, she's a retired breeding dog. I'm not impressed with the breeder from where we got her based on the way they handled this rehoming, but regardless, Daisy is happy. We love her and she is getting used to us. She sleeps with the kids (most of the time) and she's just the best.

We are wondering about what it might be like to have a younger lab too. A puppy is our preference. But we wonder how Daisy will react. All of her puppies were taken away. Wills he become very protective (to the point of it being unsafe?) or will she harm the puppy?

Any insights? Also breeder recommendations in British Columbia?

Regards,

Abby
    If you don't have a good feeling or are unsure, I'd say you're probably not ready for a puppy just yet. I would highly suggest having Daisy for at least a year before thinking about a puppy and during that time, expose her (safely, for both her and the other dog) to different dogs of different ages so you can get a good feel for how things might go.

Labs are typically pretty good with other dogs and though some do not appreciate puppies, that tends to go away once the puppy is a little older. And then some dogs really like the puppies and get annoyed when they are bigger. It just depends on the dog.

The first year or so really should be about developing your relationship with your dog, bonding, getting a routine, getting to know her, etc.

We got our younger lab when our older lab was 6 and things went fine. She was pretty high energy for him at first but they figured it out. She walked in and took over the place, Chase never really corrected her when she did anything he didn't like. If Daisy has had puppies in the past and stayed with them until they went to new homes, say 8 weeks or so, she's probably more accustomed to a puppy's antics than other dogs who have not been around young pups. I understand that a more mature Mama dog is actually a nice dog to know if you get a new puppy because they can communicate with the pup in a language the puppy understands, including giving effective corrections for pesky behavior such as nipping or jumping at her. I understand that those corrections can appear a bit scary to someone unaccustomed to seeing them but the puppy gets the message fast. Another thing to understand is that not every dog is going to get along with every other dog. So, you might not end up with dogs that are the best of pals but they get along well enough. And a young puppy has more energy than a 7 year old dog so you will want to make sure each gets the attention and the exercise that's right for them. Daisy might need a break from the puppy even though the puppy does not seem to want a break. Don't know any breeders but there are some around who might know some in your area. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (12-09-2016)

I agree with the above.

Unless the breeder gave some feedback on her having issues with dog I would imagine she'll not be aggressive in that sense. You can always ask them about it. Have you had her around other dogs?

A puppy would be a totally different routine though. Their needs (maybe less so as a baby but as a teenager/young adult) will be high as for exercise and their immediate training needs will be high. They will suck up a lot of your time so that's up tot he family if you want to take that on.

7 isn't super old. My dad puppy sat when our family dog was 15 and while the was GREAT with the puppy, he wasn't super stable and the puppy jumping around him would sometimes throw him off and he'd trip/fall (even if puppy wasn't jumping directly on him). SO in the end they were separated for the most part. But at 7 your girl should be in good shape for years yet so on that front there isn't as much of an issue.

"siblings" (dogs that live together) don't always become bff's even if they are totally non aggressive with one another and that's fine. but it means they will need their own time for exercise and training and mental stimulation. Bringing in any new dog may have a few issues at first and ensure they get their own space but with slow intros even dogs with dog issues can integrate nicely.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos