Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sears Repair Issues

Wondering if anyone here has ever had issues with Sears repairing an appliance and if so, how did they get them resolved? I'm having a heck of a time!

While I was in Italy in October my dryer stopped working. It is a newer frontload, LG brand, which is hard to find a repair person for. Sears was my best bet and to ensure they would fix it while I was gone, I called them to give them my credit card number. My house-sitter let them in, they determined it was a belt, said they'd order the part and that I needed to make an appointment to have them come and fix it once the belt came. Then they charged the house sitter $60 and said they didn't have my credit card number on file.

I reimbursed the house-sitter and made the appointment after the belt arrived. I worked from home that day. When I asked him how much it was he said it had been paid for already by the house sitter. Once the repairman left, I did a load of wash and immediately it was clear that something was wrong as the dryer was sort of vibrating and was loud, whereas before it was nearly silent. I also found a screw on the floor by the dryer.

I made another appointment for them to come back about a week later. They no-showed then cancelled about an hour after the time they were supposed to come. This was during the week so I had to make arrangements to work from home again. I make another appointment a couple weeks later (I had a couple work trips, otherwise I would have made it sooner). This time, they completely no-showed and I had to call them to find out what was going on at 2PM, four hours past the window of time they were supposed to arrive.

Also, prior to this second appointment, I had been charged $39.99 for a Sears Home Warranty. Once I looked at it closer, I had actually been charged for it twice, once in October and once in November. I was going to ask the repairman about this charge as I had never heard of this service nor had I signed up for it.

Needless to say, I was LIVID and asked to speak to a supervisor. We went round and round. Long story short, he said he could cancel the warranty and then charge me over $200 in addition to the $60 for the belt replacement. It was something like $279 total, which is astronomical even if it was done right the first time. I was told I had to pay this even though the dryer was still broken AND I had been stood up twice. He suggested I take yet another day from the office and wait around for someone to show up. Or not. And fix the dryer. Maybe.

Nothing was fixed on the phone, the guy would not budge. I have not received a follow-up call to get someone out here and fix the situation once and for all even though this was two weeks ago (again, more work trips, I just can't keep up). I was also charged for a third month of the Sears Home Warranty. So, today I called my bank to dispute the charge and am calling Sears back again.

Omg. Sears sucks.
    We bought our washer, dryer, fridge, DW & microwave from them for our new house.
    1st attempt to deliver- They backed off the driveway & had to be towed out. They left without trying again.
    2nd- fridge & dryer were damaged with big crease's down the front doors. They offered me $100 to accept the damaged crap. If we wanted damaged appliances we would bought them.
    3rd- They tried to deliver the exact same damaged fridge. The dryer door was damaged.
    4th- The dryer & fridge were ok. We paid for the upgraded hose kit for the washer. For the 4th week in a row they sent the plain rubber hoses.
    5th- they sent the same plain rubber hoses again.
    6th- they finally sent the correct stainless steel braided hose kit.
    This took 6 weeks to get 4 fricking appliances delivered because they only deliver to our area once a week. I called the manager( we were on a first name basis at this point). He graciously offered to refund our $49.99 delivery charge. I told him they offered me $100 to accept damaged crap. He said that is all he would do so we accepted the $49.99. They paid us with a check that took another 6 weeks to arrive.
    Sears sucks.
    I wish you better luck than we had.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

House Broken
    OMG. I clearly will NEVER buy anything from Sears or have them fix anything. Sorry this has happened to you guys. My husband would be through the roof angry. Like want to fight someone, angry.

Best Friend Retriever
    In my opinion; do not pay for anything you haven't received or authorized, no warranty (unless you agreed), no $200 for ?..
    You owe and paid the $60. for the belt.
    Explain to your credit card bank.
    Now, try again to get a local/private appliance store to do the repair.
    The real shame here is 20-30 yrs. ago Sears were good people, including their service.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    In my opinion; do not pay for anything you haven't received or authorized, no warranty (unless you agreed), no $200 for ?..
    You owe and paid the $60. for the belt.
    Explain to your credit card bank.
    Now, try again to get a local/private appliance store to do the repair.
    The real shame here is 20-30 yrs. ago Sears were good people, including their service.
    Good luck.
    No one else around here services LG appliances.

Sears has gone down hill so much. I used to buy all my appliances from them and get their warranty and repair agreement. DD works for Sears and she sees it first hand.

1. If you did not agree with a service agreement, DEMAND all monies be returned. If they said you agreed to it by giving your credit card number, tell them to prove it by producing a voice recording of the agreement since they apparently believe it was done by phone.

2. Call Sears corporate and talk to their top service manager.

3. The $60 sounds right on the service agreement. Unfortunately, so does the $200+ for a non-service agreement repair. They're expensive.

4. The follow up visit should not cost you anything since they did not test their repair and make sure it was repaired on the first visit.

5. Tell them you will deduct X amount of dollars from their bill for each visit they don't show up at all or don't show up within the allotted time.

6. Don't, in any way, back down. They need a huge push to do right by you. I do not and never will tolerate this kind of treatment. If it continues or you are not satisfied with the service, contact your local TV station that has a consumer investigator and be sure to let Sears know you are going that route.

Sorry, this steams me no end.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-15-2016)

Did you try contacting LG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Friend Retriever
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    No one else around here services LG appliances.
    The irony there is I remember when no one would repair Kenmore stuff, Sears refused to sell them parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Omg. Sears sucks.
    We bought our washer, dryer, fridge, DW & microwave from them for our new house.
    1st attempt to deliver- They backed off the driveway & had to be towed out. They left without trying again.
    2nd- fridge & dryer were damaged with big crease's down the front doors. They offered me $100 to accept the damaged crap. If we wanted damaged appliances we would bought them.
    3rd- They tried to deliver the exact same damaged fridge. The dryer door was damaged.
    4th- The dryer & fridge were ok. We paid for the upgraded hose kit for the washer. For the 4th week in a row they sent the plain rubber hoses.
    5th- they sent the same plain rubber hoses again.
    6th- they finally sent the correct stainless steel braided hose kit.
    This took 6 weeks to get 4 fricking appliances delivered because they only deliver to our area once a week. I called the manager( we were on a first name basis at this point). He graciously offered to refund our $49.99 delivery charge. I told him they offered me $100 to accept damaged crap. He said that is all he would do so we accepted the $49.99. They paid us with a check that took another 6 weeks to arrive.
    Sears sucks.
    I wish you better luck than we had.

And after all this, the ice maker didn't work! I was so mad! So before the warranty was out, I called. Braced myself for awful service. But the guy couldn't have been nicer. Every time he'd run the ice machine, Mocha would sit (because ice is a treat and he sits for treats). When I explained what Mocha was doing, he asked if he could give him some ice. After that, he would toss Mocha some ice when he sat. It was so sweet. Anyway, the problem turned out to be one plastic piece wasn't connected to the other plastic piece. The delivery guy should have done that. Big surprise! The warranty did cover the charges (over $300). But I remember thinking that he was very nice and efficient. They'll get rid of him before long.

Update: I haven't had a chance to call Sears back yet, but I am working with my bank on the fraudulent charges. They have credited me the first charge and are working on the other two, which gets complicated because after the first charge, it becomes a recurring charge.

The bad news is that the local repair company I found that services LG will not come over to "fix Sears' mess" which I think is ridiculous. I mean, a broken dryer is a broken dryer so what is the difference? It's not like this repair company will get blamed for what Sears has done. So, back to the drawing board.

My goal is to be credited for the warranty and have that blocked and find another company to fix my dryer.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos