Thread: Busy, Busy Days

Busy, Busy Days

Finally sitting down. Yesterday was grocery shopping, stocking up on cookie making goodies. Dinner then wrapping gifts.

Today making cookies and a canning pot full of chicken vegetable soup. First time I've tried this, usually use beef. Well, that's a no-no on my diet so essentially made the same soup using chicken instead and using appropriate herbs and chicken stock. Turned out not too bad. It's cooling down now, will set it out on the back deck with the lid tied down, so it can cool down completely before packing for the freezer. This evening was more wrapping. We go all out for the grans.

This brings up a little difficulty (?). DD works very hard and now Sears has her working 6 days a week and has been calling her to see if she can work on her day off. While the money is needed, she's exhausted. She makes enough to meet needs but not much extra and feels very bad that she cannot provide extras. Buying gifts for Christmas is very difficult for her. We make sure that the kids do not go without but she has commented to me that she feels she should be doing this. I tell her she is doing an excellent job as a single mom, her kids are clothed, fed, have a good warm home, and well loved. I can appreciate her feelings.

So now my feet are up, Archie has been "sided" (outside trips) and had his treat. Time to relax and watch some TV. Phew
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Fran I know how you feel. Last Sunday I was having pressure and numbness in my left side, down my arm up into my face. I'm 58 and I know these can be heart/stroke symptoms, so off to the ER, poked, prodded, every test possible, spent the night for observation. All tests negative, but the cardiologist wants a full work up, stress test, etc. On top of the other 2 MRI's on my neck and lower back this week. Got out of the hospital Monday at 1pm. My son and I the left for Dulles IAP at 2 pm to pick up my daughters golden retriever who was coming in from the UK. Miserable DC traffic, but made it just in time to clear all the paperwork through Customs before they closed. Back into the miserable DC traffic, for a 3 hour trip that should take 2 hours. MRI Tuesday after work. MRI Wednesday after work. Now taking care of 3 dogs on top of this. Worked Thursday, but had to coordinate picking up DD's minivan from Baltimore on Friday. Went into work early Friday so I could get off early to get the van. That went pretty smooth, but the van was pretty much out of gas and the low tire pressure light was on. Hit the first gas station, got gas, air station out of order. Second gas station, air station out of order. Third gas station, air is working, but there are 6 cars ahead of me waiting, because it's 20 degree out, and EVERYONE's low tire pressure light is on. Finally air up the tires and head out in to rush hour traffic getting out of Baltimore. Normal 90 minute trip takes 2 hours. Get home, eat two slices of left over pizza, and start baking Baily's Irish Creme Cheesecake cupcakes for a Christmas party tonight. Also had to re-install the crates into my car as I had a training seminar with Brooks this morning in Camden, NJ this morning, Got all this done, 4 margarita's later, everything's done, dogs are fed, car is ready. Winter storm last night, icy roads from here to NJ. Get the 3 dogs up this AM, feed, out to poo and pee. Load Brooks and head out. Crappy weather makes the trip almost an hour longer than it should be, but we make it in time (great training will detail in training section). Get home at 3pm. Good friend is letting me use his motor home for DD to use while they are here, so I don't have 7 people, 3 dogs, and a cat in the house, and he brings it over at 3:30 sets it up and shows me how everything works, as I'm in no way, shape or form, a camper type guy. Dw and I take my friend back to his house, and go do some errands. Errands done, go home, walk 3 dogs. Get them settled and head to the Christmas party. Had a good time with friends, everyone loved the cupcakes. Got home fed the dogs and finally sat down and checked the board. Tomorrow the normal routine with the dogs, then head to BWI airport to pick up DD and her family.

Oh, and after DD and her family head to Denver for their next assignment on January 3rd, I get to load her golden retriever in her minivan and drive the minivan with the golden retriever to Denver. By myself. Is there any question that I love my daughter?????????????

Sorry for the giant run-on paragraph, but that's how it felt in my head. More margarita's tonight.

Oh my gosh! And I thought I was busy. No way compared to you.

After you pick up your DD tomorrow, I expect you to take some time to relax. With that many folks in the house, let them do. I know, it's hard to step back but now's not the time. Enjoy your family.

Sending many prayers that the symptoms you experienced were from a very busy and stressful time. It's happened to me. Please keep up updated.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Thanks Fran. Things went pretty smooth today, and it's nice to have the whole family in one 10 mile radius for a change.

I'm of the opinion these health issues are some type of pinched nerve issue, as I can move my back and make the symptoms go away. Back in 2008 I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle, and the impact was on my left side. I can't help but think it's somehow related to that.

We haven't done any decorating for Christmas yet, so that will start tomorrow with the grandkids. Should be fun.

You guys wear me out just reading about all you're doing! I signed up to work several days last week and this week, thinking it would keep me more focused and organized. It's just adding to the feeling that I'll never get stuff done in time for my kids and their spouses/boyfriends and our grandbaby to arrive starting Wednesday evening. With all the black dog hair floating around this joint, it makes little sense to do too much dusting and vacuuming ahead of time because it will all need to be done again just before they get here.

Fran, I'm sorry your daughter feels so stressed to both care for her kids and provide whatever she can. The holidays really put the pressure on parents to go all out with "stuff" for the kids when what they'll remember more will probably be family traditions. You always put on terrific brunches or meals for holidays and birthdays. Other things like your huge Christmas village, making cookies, reading The Polar Express or other favorite holiday stories by the tree before bed at night, picking out a new ornament that will be theirs when they're grown and have a tree of their own, driving around in the evening to look at the Christmas lights, things like that that cost little but add to the festivities will be remembered long after the tree and wrapping paper are put up. I hope your daughter can ease up on her expectations for herself, she cannot do more than she's already doing. You and your husband are wonderful for being there to fill in the gaps and help make the kids feel safe and loved.

Barry, when I read your symptoms, numbness, radiating chest pain, all that, I was about to have a heart attack myself! I'm so glad the tests came back normal. No doubt those margaritas and the Bailey's, which maybe needed sampling before you put it into the cheesecakes, helped dial things down a bit for you. Still, you do seem to have a packed schedule. And the minivan you're driving to Denver is the one with the no gasoline and low tire pressure? I hope that's all you'll have to contend with during that long drive! Will you also be bringing all their Christmas "loot", I mean, as long as you're driving out anyway...

Wishing you both a restful few days coming up with all your family and pups! Merry, merry to you all!

Smartrock, I'm with you. Fur is floating around and I gather up the fur puppies but that's it until the big clean. Long ago I started taking DD around looking at holiday lights and she has continued the tradition. In fact, after Tuesday night family dinners is their drive around time, winter and summer. Now it's looking at lights. Other times it looking at autumn leaves, spring flowers and of course summers include a stop at the beach and marina. We also gather together and drive around Christmas eve, so much fun.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

House Broken
    We're in the middle of a residential move while working full time with the closing either being the 23rd or the 27th. Christmas is a non-event for us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by thndrkttn View Post
    We're in the middle of a residential move while working full time with the closing either being the 23rd or the 27th. Christmas is a non-event for us this year.
    A new house? Now there's a Christmas present!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post

Barry, when I read your symptoms, numbness, radiating chest pain, all that, I was about to have a heart attack myself! I'm so glad the tests came back normal. No doubt those margaritas and the Bailey's, which maybe needed sampling before you put it into the cheesecakes, helped dial things down a bit for you. Still, you do seem to have a packed schedule. And the minivan you're driving to Denver is the one with the no gasoline and low tire pressure? I hope that's all you'll have to contend with during that long drive! Will you also be bringing all their Christmas "loot", I mean, as long as you're driving out anyway...

Wishing you both a restful few days coming up with all your family and pups! Merry, merry to you all!
    I'll admit I was a bit freaked out the first couple episodes. I've had a lot of advanced first aid training between being in the AF and other things I've done. There was no chest pain at all, which was the odd thing in all this. It was the left arm numbness, and constricted feeling that had me concerned. I had no other symptoms of heart attack or stroke, and no risk factor other than hypertension.

Once I figured how to "turn it off" when it occurred, I began to realize is some kind of nerve issue rather than heart/stroke. Not that that makes me feel any better, at least I'm not worried I'm stroking out when it happens.

My SIL may drive the van out, they are all concerned about my back, which is a very valid concern.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-20-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos