The upside to my husband's broken knee cap.

He's doing low level physical therapy. I have had problems with a muscle/nerve in my butt that spread down my leg and recently I've had problems with my lower back. We got to talking and it reminded me that there are exercises that are targeted at very specific areas, as opposed to the more general stuff that I regularly do. Went on the internet and found exercises for that butt muscle which, apparently, does spread to the lower back if it's sciatica (thank you, Fran, for pointing out that possibility). I've been doing them and the results were almost immediate. At least the lower back pain is gone. Just fascinating. I was very close to going to the doctor. Very nice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-18-2016)

So glad it they worked. Would you mind sharing the site where you found the exercises. I'm always looking for new or variations of the exercises I already do.

Been bending over the kitchen table wrapping gifts for the last two nights and darn my back is barking. I don't keep up my routine near as much as I should, especially now with all the other time gobblers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I was wondering about that website, too! I could use it both for back pain and some sciatic pain!

I've mostly been looking at spine-health.com and this link in particular:

Back Pain Relief: Stretching to Relieve Back Pain

I really like the Hip Stretch one near the bottom of the page. I don't have to get on the floor for that one and it really takes care of my particular issue. The other one that is really good (for me) is Figure 19. I did that a couple of times and it actually helped with my neck. It cracked right after I got up. Didn't anticipate that at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

SunDance (12-19-2016)

I have sciatia from a disc that is buldge. Its a life time change. i always move , walk exercise is key. good luck. Its life time change.
    i workout and walk every day no matter what, ride my exercise bike or elliptical.

3 items i do in bed.

1) On my bed. Lift my knees up and then do the side to side motion with the knees facing the ceiling . You rotate your hip with the knees going side to side.
    2)Flat now with the legs straight . then move the knees your chin motion. and then used your arms to pull the knees towards your chest.
    3) Leg rises.

again slowly. i will do these on the bed as the back is all tight at wakeup and i do a few of these especially the days after snow blowing or shoveling days when i feel any tightness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfz For This Useful Post:

janedoe (12-19-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos