Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ursa needs a good kibble to ease her tummy...

...so what's good and what's not? Please, and thanks .

We're having problems with Ursa and Petcurean's kibbles, as it appears that she's grown intolerant to something in their kibbles. She's developed hot, itchy ears, stinky farts and soft poops. She's been vetted for this and all is fine. When we feed her GI canned food with basmati rice, she's fine.

I'm not up on kibbles anymore as Opal is RAW fed, and we liked Petcurean's kibbles for Ursa so didn't change kibble brands. Ursa appears to be allergic to chicken, so feeding her raw limits us with fish and beef.

Maybe your best bet is a limited ingredient kibble. I wish I could offer a tried and true brand to you but have never had to use one myself. I do hope you are able to find something that works for her, poor baby.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Try Nature's Logic beef. I feed both my dogs a partial raw and homecooked diet, but they do eat kibble for about 1/3 of their meals and this is the brand I use. No synthetic vitamin premix (which is a hidden source of China ingredients, even when brands say their foods contain no overseas ingredients). There's no chicken in this flavor or wheat, corn, rice, soy, and potato, for those that take issue with those foods.

Ingredients: Beef Meal, Millet, Beef Fat, Pumpkin Seed, Yeast Culture, Spray Dried Beef Liver, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Dried Kelp, Cheese Powder, Spray Dried Porcine Plasma, Dried Tomato, Almonds, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrot, Dried Apple, Sardine Meal, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Apricot, Dried Blueberry, Dried Spinach, Dried Broccoli, Dried Cranberry, Parsley, Dried Artichoke, Rosemary, Mixed Tocopherols, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Pineapple Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachtum Fermentation Extract

Also, their Sardine flavor is good, but harder to find. I've fed this one, as well.

Ingredients: Sardine Meal, Millet, Pumpkin Seed, Yeast Culture, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Sardine Oil, Kelp, Cheese Powder, Porcine Plasma, Dried Tomato, Almonds, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrot, Dried Apple, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Apricot, Dried Blueberry, Dried Spinach, Dried Broccoli, Dried Cranberry, Parsley, Dried Artichoke, Rosemary, Mixed Tocopherols, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Pineapple Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachtum Fermentation Extract

Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach is salmon based and was recommended often pre crash
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
    Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach is salmon based and was recommended often pre crash
    We feed Sarah Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach because of her severe allergies. Ginger does better on pro plan too she isn't throwing up ever time she jumps on/off the couch. Bailey also eats this plus their moist food to keep weight on him.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Senior Dog
    fromm, farmina, and i believe wellness(i don't know re recalls) but they have a limited ingredient one that i did use for vangie. also earthborn but i think the ash was too high but cant really remember exactly.
    brain burn.

Thanks .
    Unfortunate, Nature's logic's crude protein is too high for Ursa (she does best at 22-24%), and the small pet store closer to home doesn't sell Fromm, Farmina, or even Wellness, so I bought her a small bag of Blue Buffalo white fish and sweet potato (she's never had only white fish), with crude protein at 22%. Yes, it's a lesser kibble, but for now, it's a trial one. Blue Buffalo All Natural Adult Dog Food I'll phone around to find her a better kibble once I have time to look at the other choices.

What about pork or bison for raw? Do you do actual raw meat or do you do mixes for Opal?

The problem with kibbles is that you might be hard pressed to find something lower in protein. Things like BB and some other grain-inclusive formulas tend to be lower protein. Cal. Natural tends to be pretty low in protein, Herring and Sweet Potato might work if fish is OK.

Opal is completely raw fed, Ursa gets the homemade veggies and some raw meat; like beef.
    Looked into pork for Urs, but it's not available in my area, and I won't feed her regular grocery store bought pork. I'm considering freeze dried raw, such as venison or bison for Ursa. Right now, just need to get her tummy settled and firm up her ploppy poops.
    Last edited by Black Labbies; 06-20-2014 at 05:34 PM.

House Broken
    Has she has a reaction to raw chicken as well? Brady can't even tolerate a single dog treat with chicken in it, but he regularly has raw chicken without any problems - as do many other raw feeders I know.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos