Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success!

Success!

Last time Archie was at the vet he was 84 pounds. Too much for him. When he joined us he was so skinny his hips showed and after a good brushing I could even see his ribs. We went on a slow weight gain regime. Well, to say the least, it went a little too long.

Weighed him yesterday and he topped out at 77 pounds. Has taken a good 5 or so months but so worth it. He has so much more energy and running me crazy, LOL.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-04-2017), barry581 (01-04-2017), Blackboy98 (01-04-2017), Charlotte K. (01-04-2017), Hunter&Me (01-03-2017)

Way to go, Archie! That's awesome, Poptop! Good job.

Well done. The weight game is complicated. It doesn't help that you can't weigh them at home.

Senior Dog
    Congrats!

Best Friend Retriever soberbyker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Last time Archie was at the vet he was 84 pounds. Too much for him. When he joined us he was so skinny his hips showed and after a good brushing I could even see his ribs. We went on a slow weight gain regime. Well, to say the least, it went a little too long.

Weighed him yesterday and he topped out at 77 pounds. Has taken a good 5 or so months but so worth it. He has so much more energy and running me crazy, LOL.

Congrats. I often wonder just what a "good" weight is, Zeke, at last weigh in a couple weeks ago, was 61.6 pounds. He is 15 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    Well done. The weight game is complicated. It doesn't help that you can't weigh them at home.
    The "Petsmart" stores around here have a scale you can weight your dog on by yourself. Zeke is real good at sitting where I want him to so getting him on the scale is no problem, and he always loves a road trip, the store is about a mile away. Not as good as a home scale but better than waiting to go to the vet, and it's free.
    Last edited by soberbyker; 01-04-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Congratulations Archie. And PopTop.

Many Vets around here have their scale in the waiting room so you can drop in to weigh. I once asked permission to use another Vet's scale to check Oban's weight, thinking mine's was out of kilter when Oban kept getting heavier. LOL.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Congratulations Archie ! I have been down this road with my prior chocolate lab. My sister and her family moved in with me while awaiting the completion of their home. The kids fed Mocha treats like they were going out of style. She put on 15 lbs. It went on quick. It took a long time to get her back down to fighting weight

Puppy
    Probably much easier to get him to gain weight than lose it, I bet! Well done - my two have these sad eyes and would eat all day long if possible.

There is no magical number that is right!! It is how he feels and acts.

You have done such a miracle job with Archie. He is healthy, happy, wise and a little pup at times. You should consider yourself lucky that he came into your family when he did.

JOB WELL DONE
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

You did awesome and Archie is full of energy

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos