Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    House Broken

How did you name your dog/pup?

Thought it would be fun to see how we all came up with the names for our dogs

When I had Brian to the Vet she said she loves people names for dogs, as I do. Hence the name Brain!
    So I got to thinking about where we get our pets names or how we come up with them

Brian got his name from the cartoon Family Guy.
    My other 2 dogs names are Travis and Betty.
    Travis got his name from the lady I got him from. She is a good friend and her last name is Travis.
    Betty is from the cartoon The Flintstone sort of. My dog I had before her was called Wilma. So I kinda kept the Flintsone theme with her name in memory of Wilma.

So that's how I got my names, how did you all come up with yours?

I'll play! When we got Maverick he was a confident, happy, fearless stud. He reminded us of, well, Maverick on Top Gun.

Bear was harder for us. We had tons of names picked out but none of them fit. Ultimately, he was a solid, solemn, independent, large, brown and fuzzy.....Bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (01-09-2017)

I enjoyed reading the posts on how you came up with names! Very nice!

I adopted Hunter at age three and his previous owner named him. I read that it's possible to change a dog's name, but Hunter knows his name very well and I like the name for him, so I thought why fix something that isn't broken?!

Our grand daughter named Max. His full name is Mad Max.
    Hidden Content
    Mad Max born 1/1/16

Before she came to live with me a few years ago, Sierra was my brother's dog that he got from a rescue while he lived in Southern California. Because we grew up in Northern California, he wanted to name her after something that reminded him of this area.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kaialeena For This Useful Post:

Fun topic! When we knew we'd be getting a yellow boy my husband and I both independently made our list of names. The only thing we had in common was the belief that dogs can kind of name themselves, so we wanted a list and we'd see what seemed to fit.

Well, both of us liked each other's lists and had no 'vetoes' on names, except for one. One name on my husbands list: Thor. I said it sounded like something an 8 year old kid would choose. So we kind of tossed it aside.

On pickup day we were the first and got to see our pup, the only male in the litter, with all of his sisters. He was bigger, blonder, and seemed to have no concept of his size and strength compared to his somewhat smaller sisters. I remember picking him up, looking in his smooshy handsome face, and saying to my husband, "dammit, you win. He's a Thor."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

arentspowell (01-07-2017), Java (01-09-2017), MontananDakota (01-09-2017), Murphy030813 (01-07-2017), POPTOP (01-07-2017), SunDance (01-07-2017)

I had already decided on Lucy after our first meeting with her, my husband was not so sure. He asked our young nieces & nephew for ideas and the conversation got a little silly so Lucy's full name ended up as Lucy Ketchup!

Senior Dog
    Scully and Mulder were named after the X-Files which was our favorite show at the time.

Jolie was named by her breeder/owner, and I don’t know where she got it.

Chloe was named after a character on 24. Had she been a male she would have been Bauer (from Jack Bauer the main character).

Sassy and Cookie were not supposed to be their real names, just what we called them when they were newborns in the whelping box but when we decided to keep them the names stuck. Sassy was called that because at 5AM, driving back from the emergency clinic where they had been born via c-section, with them in a cardboard box on my daughter’s lap, she wouldn’t stop vocalizing (she was hungry). My daughter told her to “stop being sassy!” ... it stuck and really fits her. When Cookie was born, they told us she had been “born screaming” while Sass had to be resucitated (and 3 others didn’t make it), plus her back feet were bent the wrong way (straightened out with 3 days of us continually placing them properly whenever we walked by), so she was our “tough cookie”.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

We knew we were getting a yellow girl, so we wanted something a little "fancy pants" for her name. We also wanted to be able to shorten it to something we liked, so she ended up as Gabrielle O'Neill - the O'Neill being my DH's addition, as he always wanted that for a daughter's name. She's just wonderful Gabby to us...or Gabs, Gabby the Labby, Gabrador, Flabby Gabby. Thank heavens she didn't turn out to be a barker, although everyone asks if that's why she's named Gabby!

House Broken
    I love the stories how all you all picked names out for you pups!

I've gotten to calling Brian the Bri man lol

I don't call my dogs the names I give them much. Sometimes their nicknames are no where near the names I gave them!

I call Travis Little Man because he sits like a person.

For Betty I call her Bettywholou. No idea why but it kinda stuck lol

I don't name a pet before I get it. Brian is the first one I've ever named before I got him. Was watching Family Guy and saw the talking dog Brian on it and just called him that until it was time for him to come home! The breeder asked me if I had a name picked out and I told her Brian and she knew right away where I got the name rotfl.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos