Thread: Dog Hair Sliver

Dog Hair Sliver

Just now at work, I have been noticing a sharp stinging pain in my right foot. Thinking it was something sharp in my sock, I take off my socks and shoes, only to find a Bacon hair embedded in the top of my foot like a sliver! OUCH! Anyone else have such a plethora of dog hair that they have had this happen?!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Yes, I get those. They HURT. The first time I was sure there was a piece of glass in my foot. They hurt coming out too, as the hairs are barbed, or scaled or something. The thing I find strange is it's not the guard hairs, the ones sort of shaped like a javelin, that stick in. No, it's the soft, silky, short undercoat hairs. And why is it only me who gets them stuck in my foot and not the OH? You are lucky yours was on the top of your foot. Mine are usually on the bottom where I can't see to pull them out. Yet another reason to stay married, who else could/would I ask to pull dog hair out of my foot?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (01-09-2017)

My two really don't shed that much, which as we all know is pretty uncommon. I vacuumed the bedrooms today, and there was very little blond hair around the kennel and it's been two weeks since it was vacuumed. Sophie has never shed very much, and she's spayed. All I can say is I hope it stays this way!

Senior Dog
    I've heard of that happening but it's never happened to me.

What does happen, though, is that I get undercoat hairs in my eyes. Especially my right eye for some reason. It happened a lot more when we had our little Maine Coon.

I had that happen under my foot. Hair Splinter!

Oh yes, many times! I first discovered the experience when we had our first dogs, who were boxers and it was so hard to see them. Those little sharp hairs get right in there and KILL! At least I can see the black lab hairs. Now I can tell without looking when it's a dog hair stuck in my foot causing that discomfort.

Happened to me as a child. Mom, brother and I were sight seeing and my big toe was killing me. Finally sat down and found a hair imbedded in my toe. Mom had a black cocker at the time and the hair was black.

The worse was our Dalmatian. Luckily never an imbedded piece of fur. Dalmatian fur looks smooth but has a raised cuticle so it "barbs" into everything. Vacuuming does not get it up; it has to be hand picked off fabrics.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I've never heard of that. I'm surprised I don't look like a porcupine.

I've had one in the bottom of my foot. My hairdresser had mentioned to me in the summer that she doesn't wear open toed shoes to work anymore because she had a bad infection from a human hair sliver.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

House Broken
    I've never had this happen but my husband did lol. At the time we had Wilma our lab mix. She had the short black hair and she shet TONS. Don't know why he got it, but it amazed me. How in the heck does a dog hair get into one's skin? I find that odd lol.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos