Deciphering health test clearences

Someone help me translate this. Please! I've been looking at some breeders and the health tests they do on their dogs. I have no idea what these codes mean. Is there a reference I can read or something?

For example: on an eye test there's this "WS-885 TESTED: 10: CERF Breeder's Option Code(s): D3a-Iris, persistent pupillary membranes- iris to iris". What does that it mean "Breeder's option"? I'm so lost.

TIA

I'm not a breeder but my best guess is that it's the result? From there I have no idea what any of it means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    I'm not a breeder but my best guess is that it's the result? From there I have no idea what any of it means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes It's the result that I'm trying to understand. I did some extensive Googling and apparently "Breeder's option" means that the named condition exists but may not be hereditary so it's up to the breeder to decide to breed that dog. I think...

I'm not a breeder but did some looking around, here's one explanation:

The "Breeding Advice" given is determined by the significance of the condition to visionand/or very strong evidence of heritability:
    Two categories of advice regarding breeding have been established:
    NO: Substantial evidence exists to support the heritability of this entity AND/OR the entityrepresents a potential compromise of vision or other ocular function.
    BREEDER OPTION: Entity is suspected to be inherited but does not represent potentialcompromise of vision or other ocular function.
    When the breeding advice is "NO", even a minor clinical form of the entity would make this animalunsuitable for breeding. When the advice is "BREEDER OPTION", caution is advised. In time, itmay be appropriate to modify this stand to "NO" based on accumulated evidence. If, in time, itbecomes apparent that there is insufficient evidence that an entity is inherited, it may be deletedfrom the list.

From this article:
    https://www.acvo.org/new/diplomates/resources/Blue%20Book%202015%208th%20Edition%20CORRECTED.pdf

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

annkie (01-12-2017)

the above looks like good info. this thread won't answer this particular questions but maybe help with other questions:
    Clearances For Labs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

annkie (01-12-2017)

A "breeder option" on an eye clearance is there is something with the dog's eye that keeps it from being "perfect" but that condition is not proven to be hereditary in that breed.

I recommend you ask the breeder... they should be able to answer these questions

9. The Following User Says Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

annkie (01-12-2017)

Not sure if you've looked there, but you can find a lot of good info at the OFA site.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Lab Specific:

Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

Breeder Option Codes for eyes

Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos