Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

How to communicate with breeders, what to ask and when?

I was browsing various breeders online and their websites. I came across one and emailed them asking about their next litter. The lady responded promptly with info and asked about me. I replied quickly with some background info. In my email I asked how much she charged for her dogs. This was a day ago and I have not heard back. Was that wrong? I've never gotten a dog from a breeder before and I have no idea when it's appropriate to talk about money. But, honestly, I'd like to know if the dog is $500 or $2,000 before I bombard them with further questions, etc. So, how do you talk to breeders and when is it appropriate to ask these type of questions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to annkie For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (01-13-2017)

Puppy Buyer Etiquette

I know this isn't a link, but there's a topic, I believe it's stickies, hat goes over this. I can't figure out how to hyperlink it with my phone.... If you put it in game search bar you should find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Dog
    Depends on the breeder, but there are some out there who see asking about price as a red flag and that may have turned off the breeder. I tend to agree with you though, that if the puppy will be out of your price range, might as well figure that out in advance before wasting their time. That said, it will be hard to find a $500 puppy that has parents with health clearances who have been proven in either the show ring or performance events. $1500-$2000 is much more typical for those types of litters, and if you do come across a “bargain” pup, I would really look very, very closely at the situation because very often you get what you pay for. Most of the $500 pups I’ve seen around here are backyard bred and the parents have not been health tested.

The reasoning for many of these breeders is that if you balk at paying the “going rate” for a well-bred pup, what else will you balk at? What if the pup down the line blows a cruciate (for example), will you then be unwilling to spend the money to fix it? If paying that much for a puppy is definitely out of the question, maybe consider taking on a rescue instead?
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (01-14-2017)

This is the Puppy Buyer Etiquette discussion that is being referenced on this thread: Puppy Buyer Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Depends on the breeder, but there are some out there who see asking about price as a red flag and that may have turned off the breeder. I tend to agree with you though, that if the puppy will be out of your price range, might as well figure that out in advance before wasting their time. That said, it will be hard to find a $500 puppy that has parents with health clearances who have been proven in either the show ring or performance events. $1500-$2000 is much more typical for those types of litters, and if you do come across a “bargain” pup, I would really look very, very closely at the situation because very often you get what you pay for. Most of the $500 pups I’ve seen around here are backyard bred and the parents have not been health tested.

The reasoning for many of these breeders is that if you balk at paying the “going rate” for a well-bred pup, what else will you balk at? What if the pup down the line blows a cruciate (for example), will you then be unwilling to spend the money to fix it? If paying that much for a puppy is definitely out of the question, maybe consider taking on a rescue instead?
    Yeah, I'm not expecting to pay $500 it was just for argument sake. But if what you say is true, then it's really unfortunate that people would draw that conclusion. I mean, take myself as an example... I asked about the cost of a dog because perhaps i'm not willing to shell out $5,000 on a pup. However, that doesn't mean that if a pup becomes ill i won't spend $5,000 on it (because i've spent way more!). I wonder if I should email back that breeder and clarify somehow...

If you are looking at Labradors in the northeast from reputable breeders (health tested parents, compete in some venue to get independent evaluation of breeding stock [show ring, performance, hunting], belong to breed club/active in community for their breed(s)) I think you need to budget $1500-$2000. Other breeds likely are the same price or more depending upon rarity or cost to breed/whelp. I don't think there are any well-bred dogs of any breed at this point under $1000. In Labs, there are very few people that I know in my area (which is generally cheaper than the east coast) who sell puppies for less than $1500.

Also, many breeders work outside the home, and I wouldn't automatically assume that you'll not get a response back after one day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (01-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
    Yeah, I'm not expecting to pay $500 it was just for argument sake. But if what you say is true, then it's really unfortunate that people would draw that conclusion. I mean, take myself as an example... I asked about the cost of a dog because perhaps i'm not willing to shell out $5,000 on a pup. However, that doesn't mean that if a pup becomes ill i won't spend $5,000 on it (because i've spent way more!). I wonder if I should email back that breeder and clarify somehow...
    I wouldn't take it too personally. Remember, most good breeders field tons of requests from tire kickers and others, and ultimately they are breeding for their own programs first and foremost -- not trying to place puppies in pet homes. If your question did cause this breeder to back away and decline to engage further, that just means they aren't the right one for you. Again, it's only been a day. You may very well hear back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (01-14-2017)

Having went though the puppy search last spring, here is what I can tell you regarding price. Price is not necessarily a guarantee of a quality puppy. I'm not what part of PA you are in, but you need to be wary of puppy mills and breeders who do little to no clearances. I found prices anywhere from $1000 to $3500, and in many cases the parents did not what I would consider to be the minimum clearances. Even with all due diligence things can and will go wrong. I imported two puppies from a breeder in the UK whom I've known and been friends with for over 32 years. I know/knew dogs 6 - 7 generations back in their lines. Sophie, my 5 year old has been the picture of health. Bruce passed away in his sleep when he was 19 months old from a heart related issue. He was completely asymptomatic until he experienced an acute fatal arythmia. There were no dogs in his lines that had any type of heart issue.

My advice is to contact breeders you are interested in, and go from there but understand that it is very expensive for a breeder to obtain clearances, pay stud fees, vet fees, the cost of a possible C-section, etc, etc. Most good breeders only have a litter when they need a puppy, or have enough orders that they know every puppy will have a home. In the MD, DE, PA area that I looked for pups, the average price was around $2000.

I doubt you are looking at a $5000 pup unless you are talking to a TOP breeder. I know some show prospects running about $3k but not pets.

I would imagine that the lack in communication now has to do with the breeder's other responsibilities or them being at shows or something.

I'd plan on paying $2K and maybe see if you can visit the breeder to see their dogs, and then get a line on the price then.

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Having went though the puppy search last spring, here is what I can tell you regarding price. Price is not necessarily a guarantee of a quality puppy. I'm not what part of PA you are in, but you need to be wary of puppy mills and breeders who do little to no clearances. I found prices anywhere from $1000 to $3500, and in many cases the parents did not what I would consider to be the minimum clearances. Even with all due diligence things can and will go wrong. I imported two puppies from a breeder in the UK whom I've known and been friends with for over 32 years. I know/knew dogs 6 - 7 generations back in their lines. Sophie, my 5 year old has been the picture of health. Bruce passed away in his sleep when he was 19 months old from a heart related issue. He was completely asymptomatic until he experienced an acute fatal arythmia. There were no dogs in his lines that had any type of heart issue.

My advice is to contact breeders you are interested in, and go from there but understand that it is very expensive for a breeder to obtain clearances, pay stud fees, vet fees, the cost of a possible C-section, etc, etc. Most good breeders only have a litter when they need a puppy, or have enough orders that they know every puppy will have a home. In the MD, DE, PA area that I looked for pups, the average price was around $2000.
    Honestly, I'm a bit surprised of how expensive puppies are. I guess I don't know how much is spent on breeding. My husband almost passed out when I said a pup may cost $2K. He's not willing to spend that (but you know the saying...the man may be the head of the house hold but the wife is the neck... and I'm Russian so we know who's the head anyway LOL we may get that expensive pup anyway). He bought a black lab 10 yrs ago for his parents and paid $600 cash. That dog is English type to standard and is doing very well at 10 yrs old. I know nothing of his breeders though.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos