Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The results are in, not just a black dog mix anymore

I've been curious about what mix Ava is since I got her as a puppy. She was listed as a lab mix at the shelter and as she grew her body shape became very un-lab like. She's fine boned and I really thought might have some greyhound mixed in. And I wondered where her curled tail came from.

Well, the DNA results disagree with my greyhound assumption. Ava has come back with the following 3 primary "ingredients": 50% lab, 12.5% American Staffordshire Terrier, 12.5% Rottweiller. The remaining 25% came back as generic mixed breed that might contain Herding, Sporting, and/or Companion groups. These results really surprised me. Not that it matters, I just thought it would be fun to have her DNA checked.

-img_3248-cropped-jpg
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

Funny results! Every time people say what the results are I just can't see it. And I don't think that tail curl comes from labs, Am Staffs, or Rotties! I guess her tail is in that 25% other.

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Funny results! Every time people say what the results are I just can't see it. And I don't think that tail curl comes from labs, Am Staffs, or Rotties! I guess her tail is in that 25% other.
    Most of her appearance must be from that mixed 25% although they listed Herding, Sporting, and Companion as the general types. I thought she'd have some sighthound in her. She certainly didn't get any of the stoutness from the top three breeds. And, no, her tail is not lab-like at all. Really only her coloring is lab-like at all. Her build is very different. Although she was a stocky puppy and I was very surprised at her final appearance.
    Last edited by ckfalz; 01-14-2017 at 06:55 AM.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

The results are in, not just a black dog mix anymore

It's so funny how different breeds combine to lead to assumptions that end up being so off the mark. I'm not sure how the genetic tests can really lead to any actionable changes, but they certainly help answer questions! My sisters dog looks 90% lab but he has a curled tail and a white chest. She assumed he had some shepherd in him.
    He also has joint genetic disease that is only common in toy breeds. Her genetic tests showed a long line of labs with one random ancestor that was an affenpinscher, a common carrier of her dogs genetic defect. She can't do anything about it, but it does help her understand, and therefore care for, the issues that her pup has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Wow, a real mystery girl. Any Rottie I ever saw with a tail did have a curled one, but more hairy. Rottie tails, to me, look far too skinny for such a heavily muscled, heavy boned dog. So maybe her tail is Rottie?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Wow, a real mystery girl. Any Rottie I ever saw with a tail did have a curled one, but more hairy. Rottie tails, to me, look far too skinny for such a heavily muscled, heavy boned dog. So maybe her tail is Rottie?
    Just what I was thinking. And there is a Rottie girl in our class this session who is being kept unusually lean (not unhealthy, but like Labs they tend to be heavy) as she is recovering from orthopedic surgery and her body does have a deep chest and more pronounced tuck than they appear to have while heavier. Maybe not to the degree of your girl, but more than a lab usually does.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    I see the AST in her head and I'm betting that 50% Lab was field Lab...my Honey was a really rangy girl (pure bred but probably poorly bred).

Ava's a pretty girl. You might be interested in taking a look at the picture gallery at WisdomPanel.com and see what some of the mixes of those breeds can look like.

So very cool!

I've always wanted to have DNA testing done on our dogs, and like you it would be "just for fun". I say I have a lab, but if somewhere in there is another breed, then equally cool. (Much like I say I'm "Canadian", but god only knows what I have floating around inside of me lol).

I'd love to test my sister's Beagle - Walker Hound mix. I'm pretty sure he's also part seal. You should hear his "bark".

Wow funny how far off you were. Id like to see Mollys mix.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySideUp View Post
    So very cool!

I've always wanted to have DNA testing done on our dogs, and like you it would be "just for fun". I say I have a lab, but if somewhere in there is another breed, then equally cool. (Much like I say I'm "Canadian", but god only knows what I have floating around inside of me lol).

I'd love to test my sister's Beagle - Walker Hound mix. I'm pretty sure he's also part seal. You should hear his "bark".
    For Christmas this year I bought my OH the Ancestry.ca DNA test. He was born in Scotland to his warbride mother but his father was Canadian. He doesn't have the results back yet, it will be interesting. You have likely seen the TV commercial with folks expressing surprise at their mixed racial background.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos