Thread: New Dog

Puppy

New Dog

Hi,

I am a newly registered on this site Lab owner, but have lurking for many years. We have a 10yr old female who enjoys being alone with just my wife and I. She doesn't mind being around other dogs, my son has two and they spend time together, she just ignores them and will go into the other room after awhile. That being said, on New Years Eve my wife found a male Lab running around my daughters neighborhood scared due to fireworks in the area. We did everything necessary to find the owners to no avail, then sent him to a rescue center. My wife and I have developed a soft spot for him ever since. He is roughly 1-2 years and in good shape and was well taken care of.

We are close to adopting him, but our only concern is our 10 yr. old. I think she will be okay, we kept him at our house for three days when we first found him while trying to locate his owners and they did fine. For the most part they both ignored each other. We just don't want to do anything to cause stress for our 10 yr.. old. She had two dachshund sisters for about 8 yrs., but is an only dog now.

Can you offer any feedback for us? It would be much appreciated.

Mark

If they did OK before, they'd probably do fine now as well. Chase was an "only child" for more than 6 years before we got Lark, never had a dog sibling before, and while it wasn't love at first sight, they got accustomed to each other. Your 2 may never get to be best buddies but tolerating or ignoring each other is OK and they may get to be better friends as time goes on. She may decide she enjoys having another pup to play with. As long as they get along OK and you want to bring that boy home, I'd go for it. You're adopting him for yourselves anyway, not for Chloe (I'm guessing that's her name).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-17-2017), CHLOEBEAR (01-17-2017)

Senior Dog
    When we got our first chocolate boy, Hershey, we had 10 year old Akita Kiku and 10 year old Lab Brutus. Keeks and Bru were best friends...Bru loved Hershey on sight and Keeks was good but a bit more restrained. Hershey and Bru were best buds but Hershey's energy was too much for Bru and Bru's arthritis started to make itself known (also his tendency to have seizures from overheating...something we'd had under control since we'd gotten him at the age of 3). We ended up getting Honey (4 mos. old yellow girl) to keep Hershey from dragging Brutus down too much. Unfortunately, Bru's seizures started up anyhow (and our Akita wasn't fond of Honey).

All that is to say...you know your present Lab the best, how she handles stress, her medical state, etc. The fact that they mostly ignored each other before is a good sign (that's how my Akita "handled" being around Hershey until they bonded)...you don't want to stress your older pup.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

CHLOEBEAR (01-17-2017)

I say go for it. You might need to keep a keen eye on their behavior as you go forward. If the new dog is too rambunctious, you might need a safe place for the older dog to hang out. When I got Auggie (at 10 weeks old), my Cosmo was about 6. When Cosmo had had enough he would go upstairs to get away from Auggie. I let him have his alone time away from the puppy, and time with just me, too. Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Barking Dogs For This Useful Post:

CHLOEBEAR (01-17-2017)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos