Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

CGC Test - Did Not Go Well....

Actually, it was a disaster! I made sure Marlin had a good run in the morning, and then again in the early evening but he really had ants in his pants! When we arrived I thought we might stand a chance, since he appeared calm. But one glimpse at the dog that he had to walk past and I knew it was over... There were 5 of us in the class, and we all got to know each other throughout the eight week session. Only 2 passed. Our dogs seemed so intrigued with the new dog on the block! They couldn't walk pass that beautiful Golden without excitement! We were all a bit intimidated by the evaluator, but it was a good lesson to watch all the dogs go through the test. The funny thing is Marlin has been doing so well when we practice at home (except for the greeting with dogs...he just gets SOOO excited!) but he acted like a clown again (which has never been his personality until recently) and would not even heel properly.....ugh! He was totally off. Anyway, the evaluator felt that he is bad phase right now so she suggested taking the puppy CGC for now since it was obvious he could not focus at all. So that's what we got. Not knocking the STAR test but for Marlin at 10 months it was way too simple. I think that test is geared for a much younger pup.

BTW, we all felt so stressed when we left. I thought I was suppose to HAVE FUN!!! I'm taking the summer off from formal classes and then getting back to it in the Fall, when I will retake the test. I'm also wondering since this is new bad behavior from him that its possible that he associates that class with the behaviors he exhibits??

Oh well, better luck next time!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marlin&Me For This Useful Post:

Kain's Mommy (06-20-2014), kelsyg (06-20-2014), tennysonlab (06-23-2014)

Senior Dog
    It's supposed to be fun. But it is also work and dogs go through phases. Take the time off and enjoy your pup. Keep working at home and get back to the class in the fall. Will do you good to take this time off and just be for bonding.

I know it's in my future, but not going to sweat it. Going to keep it fun.

KAZ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-20-2014)

Ten months is a tough age! My puppy is eight months now and is behaving in a similar way to Marlin right now. I think restarting in the fall is a great idea (I decided to take a summer break from classes also). My last dog was a bit over a year when I tried the CGC and TDI tests with him and he passed easily, a few months of maturity can make a big difference. Good luck in the fall!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-20-2014)

Puppy
    Thanks! I know he is at a tough age. Actually, when I signed up for the training class I had no idea that the test was included. But since it was, I figured I would give it a go. Will try again!

Aww, sorry. I know you are feeling bad about it but it's not a big deal, you can try again and a small space of time can make a world of difference. One thing I noted at our test was the huge amount of support from the evaluator, the helpers, the observers and the other dog owners. Ours was in a strange place but everyone was so encouraging it made us feel good and emphasized the joy of being with our dog part over the passing of a test part. Try, try again. Try to relax. Maybe try what works for my pup, a vacation from training for a bit? Works wonders for him

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-20-2014)

Don't worry about it. Although the CGC isn't popular here (actually, not sure if we even have it), I'm sure Bobby would be awarded the prize for "Biggest Disruption."

Good luck on your next try.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-20-2014), tennysonlab (06-23-2014)

Senior Dog
    This is all perfectly normal. Ten months is still very much babyhood!

We took Kimber to her first CGC class when she was a year old. She was *horrible* in class-she just wanted to play with the other dogs. We took the final test just because, and she actually, much to our and the instructor's shock, came thisclose to passing. The only thing she got dinged on was the sit nice for a stranger. She kept popping up and dancing for the judge. But we'd gone to the class for fun and structure, so no worries. We took the class again a YEAR LATER and she passed.

Another story: I signed up Kimber for her first agility class when she was 2. We were the only pair to not graduate from class. It was an outdoor ring with lots of wildlife nearby, and all she wanted to do was sniff the ground. (Oh, and eat the treats that other owners were using to entice their dogs. I had to drag her out of a tunnel because she lay down where all the little pieces of cheese and hot dog had accumulated and was having a lovely time in there.)

But we kept trying. I waited another year and found an INDOOR agility class, which worked much better for Miss Sniffy. She wasn't the star pupil by any means, but it was so much fun we signed up for class after class. By the time she was 5, she *was* the star pupil and the other owners would look at us with envy. I would tell them, "Your dog is 1. Kimber is 5. She wasn't nearly as good at 1 as your dog is now."

Give Marlin his chance to be a goofy puppy for a while yet. There's no rush to get certifications or ribbons. Take classes and do the homework for your own fun and progress, and don't ever compare yourself or Marlin to anyone else!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

It's ok Marlin!! You will get it next time!! We are going to be starting a CGC class for Bacon soon. Or maybe we should wait??
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-20-2014)

I admire all of you doing CGC testing with such young dogs. Never thought about doing it until it was offered at an event I took Bandit to. He was closing in on 12; OK a older than most would try. He was such a good boy and passed with no problem. I watched some younger dogs trying and could see they were having a blast but concentration was difficult for them. Give it time, you're dealing with a baby.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Don't worry, Marlin is still just a baby!! Daisy just passed at 16 months but I don't think she would've passed even 2 months ago.
    It's all about having fun and bonding with Marlin! Also, everybody makes mistakes--especially a 10 month old lab puppy!!
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

19. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-20-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos