Thread: Rocky Update

Rocky Update

Rocky saw the vet last week and had updated bloodwork done.

1 - he is indeed at the early stages of LP I am most surprised how out of the blue it all came on. He was "fine" and then suddenly after Christmas the loud breathing and panting just started. actually not true, he panted on SOME walks for SHORT bits now and then in December. But now he pants (like heavy pant) for the first half of almost all afternoon walks. Then he stops for the rest. Some days are worse than others. I am trying very hard to figure out what I can do (if anything) to stop it. He wants to go go go and vet agreed to keep going. He does NOT pant at all on morning walks (20 mins) even if the temps are the same. it's winter here so I am pretty freaked about what will happen when spring and summer hit. The loud breathing is stable, some days worse than others (one night he woke me up it was so loud ). But I am getting used to it. He hasn't done the coughing chocking thing again (i posted a video I think in the other thread). But vet said it's pretty minor right now Long walks are about 2km and take 40-60 mins. Morning walks are about 1k.

2 - kidneys are still holding stable. results were 9.3 (?) and 134(creatnin)

3 - thyroid low still (within normal but very low) so he wants to double thyroid meds.

He wants to add RX renal supplement which is pretty pricey (on top of doubling thyroids). He is also on kidney diet. plus other stuff. I'm at a breaking point cost wise I think (plus the pre-christmas $750 visit and this post christmas $550 visit/bloodwork) so will have to cost out all he's recommended then ask where I need to put my money cuz it's getting to be a bit much (and I suspect we'll be back at hte vets every month or two).

The growth was nothing and unlikely to grow back. I'm very sad about the panting/loud breathing. He is still doing 45-60min long walks (slow, some days slower, other days he's got something up his butt and he's trucking thru the trails) plus a morning walk and evening "around the block jaunt". He needs help down the stairs now. I suspect the day will come maybe sooner than later were we move downstairs again.

We started scenting classes which he likes. His spirits seem good. Mine are in the tank :P

Senior Dog
    (((HUGS))) It’s so hard watching them grow older. It sounds like overall, he is holding his own and you are taking good care of him. Jolie had LP, and we think Mulder may have had a touch of it, but neither one had severe problems from it - once it came on it remained fairly stable. Jolie did get the hind-end weakness, but was able to keep moving (albeit at a slower pace), manage stairs with a bit of help, etc., until the splenic tumor finally did her in at almost 15. She only had one attack of the choking and wheezing. I had read on the Yahoo LP list at some point that sometimes spraying them with mist from a spray bottle can bring them out of it and it worked for her. Not sure why - startle factor maybe?
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-27-2017)

I am really sorry Tanya. Hang in there. Rocky is actually great, with the issues he has, and he walks for an hour! As I said before (I think), I am really happy when I see you post pictures of him on the trail. You are taking good care of him. I know it's hard, but try not to anticipate and enjoy every moment.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-27-2017)

If he were mine I would forego the tyroid med increase if his values are still coming back within the good range. My Bailey was on the low side too and actually overdosed a couple times on his thyroid meds before his new vet just took him off of them completely, I would of course talk to your vet before doing that. Part of Bailey's overdose systems were excessive panting, not being able to settle and high heart rate.

It is hard to watch them go through this they want to go but their bodies just can't keep up with their youthful mind. Have you thought about giving Rocky benedryl? I know it really helped my Tootsie. Keeping you both in our thoughts.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

7. The Following User Says Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-27-2017)

Thanks guys. I know all this is very normal old dog stuff and we all go thru it.

Thyroid valu hasn't changed (still low). Kidney levels seem to have evened out (I am searching for the info on his last tests but they seem to have improved after I stopped metecam and are stable).

Benedryl for the panting?

Rocky himself is actually doing pretty well despite all this. Even with the panting he'll full steam ahead on the walk. Loud breathing might have improved but seems worse right when we got to bed at night. we're having a good week, he is energetic (for him). I"d say we are much better than we were in say August. HOWEVER, that honestly could just be the weather (he never did "well" in the summer and that has gotten worse every year which is probably what worries me the most about LP). I'll have to post some photos. He makes me laugh still. He's a terrible beggar (cuz you know, he's old so I started sharing - and created a monster!).

He's liking scenting class I think. I mean basically he putters and sniffs then gets a bunch of treats What's not to like. This week's homework will be training a new cue for a known action (sit). Should be interesting.

Let's hope he stays stable for a while. Thanks for the update, and we'll keep you and Rocky in our thoughts and prayers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Thanks guys. I know all this is very normal old dog stuff and we all go thru it.

Thyroid valu hasn't changed (still low). Kidney levels seem to have evened out (I am searching for the info on his last tests but they seem to have improved after I stopped metecam and are stable).

Benedryl for the panting?

Rocky himself is actually doing pretty well despite all this. Even with the panting he'll full steam ahead on the walk. Loud breathing might have improved but seems worse right when we got to bed at night. we're having a good week, he is energetic (for him). I"d say we are much better than we were in say August. HOWEVER, that honestly could just be the weather (he never did "well" in the summer and that has gotten worse every year which is probably what worries me the most about LP). I'll have to post some photos. He makes me laugh still. He's a terrible beggar (cuz you know, he's old so I started sharing - and created a monster!).

He's liking scenting class I think. I mean basically he putters and sniffs then gets a bunch of treats What's not to like. This week's homework will be training a new cue for a known action (sit). Should be interesting.
    The Benadryl helps to open breathing passages so they can get in more air at least that is how it helped my Tootsie especially when it was hot and humid. She was a puppy mill survivor having had her vocal cords cut, there was a lot of scar tissue in her throat as a result she had LP. I am guessing you have elevated Rocky's food dish and are using a harness when you go for walks? the harness is especially important to keep any pressure off his throat from collar/leash.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

12. The Following User Says Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-28-2017)

Hi Tanya, best wishes with Rocky...I responded to your thread a couple weeks ago (and other's mentioned Benedryl here too) that maybe some of the off label meds may help...

"I believe there was an off label use of Doxepin that is supposed to assist with LP and some have benefited from high dosing of Benedryl as well."

Bob
    Griffin growing up!

Hidden Content

Griffin Male Black Lab 03/14/16 -

Yukon My Wonderful Yellow Lab 11/20/06 - 03/12/19 Will cherish the memories!!!!
    My Precious Tanner Boy 11/25/02 - 6/25/15 Will miss you always!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to outrag For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-28-2017)

Oh boy. Rocky sounds like he's doing pretty well now, if a bit slower going. At least you don't have conditions for which meds are contra-indicated, that's a saving grace. At least I don't think kidneys, thyroid and LP meds would work for one condition and against another. Hang in there, lots of good thoughts are at work for Rocky and you.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-28-2017)

thanks for the info Good to know about benedryl - will note that.

we've been using a harness for a few years now, he rarely even wears collars. He doesn't eat from the bowl much, we use food to do exercises and training (or brain games) but I am looking at options to elevate the dishes. I put his water on a container and he didn't seem to like that :P Will get something a bit less imposing.

Yes thankfully I don't have conditions where treating one can cause issues for the other. Other than stopping metecam but we are managing the pain well enough I think.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos