Another breeder question...

So about a week and a half ago I spoke to two breeders in one day. I was originally looking to acquire a dog around end of summer timeline. The one breeder (let's call her breeder A) was about to have a litter at end of January with puppies going home at end of March. The second breeder (breeder B) was planning on on a litter later in the year with puppies going home in August if everything went according to plan. Now, originally breeder A said she's not sure if she would have puppies available from the January litter. But then she emailed me and said she may have a male if I'm interested. So now I feel guilty. I told breeder B that I was going to meet her at a dog show in March to see her female dog she's planning on breeding (and just other dogs in general). I feel guilty... like I'm two-timing. Granted I never put a deposit down for either litters and I'm still planning on attending the dog show just because it sounds fun. But if I decide on a dog from breeder A what do I say to breeder B? I would like to maintain good relations. You never know... we may consider getting a second dog in a couple of years. Ugh... this makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
    So about a week and a half ago I spoke to two breeders in one day. I was originally looking to acquire a dog around end of summer timeline. The one breeder (let's call her breeder A) was about to have a litter at end of January with puppies going home at end of March. The second breeder (breeder B) was planning on on a litter later in the year with puppies going home in August if everything went according to plan. Now, originally breeder A said she's not sure if she would have puppies available from the January litter. But then she emailed me and said she may have a male if I'm interested. So now I feel guilty. I told breeder B that I was going to meet her at a dog show in March to see her female dog she's planning on breeding (and just other dogs in general). I feel guilty... like I'm two-timing. Granted I never put a deposit down for either litters and I'm still planning on attending the dog show just because it sounds fun. But if I decide on a dog from breeder A what do I say to breeder B? I would like to maintain good relations. You never know... we may consider getting a second dog in a couple of years. Ugh... this makes me feel so uncomfortable.
    Honesty is the Best policy, and I ask people to let me know if they are looking at another breeder, there is nothing wrong with it, but be upfront. Breeders know and talk to each other.

It can be as simple as, "I was working with another breeder that didn't have anything, and now they might,..." And then say what you would like to do... If you want a puppy from breeder "B", then tell breeder "A" that you found a litter you want a puppy from. If you want the male, then tell breeder "B" that you found a puppy etc...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-30-2017), barry581 (01-29-2017), Maxx&Emma (01-30-2017), Tanya (01-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Honesty is the Best policy, and I ask people to let me know if they are looking at another breeder, there is nothing wrong with it, but be upfront. Breeders know and talk to each other.

It can be as simple as, "I was working with another breeder that didn't have anything, and now they might,..." And then say what you would like to do... If you want a puppy from breeder "B", then tell breeder "A" that you found a litter you want a puppy from. If you want the male, then tell breeder "B" that you found a puppy etc...

Yeah... I'm not sure what we're doing yet.. whether taking a pup from the breeder A litter or not. We're going to see the litter this Saturday if all goes well. But I still don't know if I want to take a puppy as early as March or wait until end of summer like originally planned. So I guess I'll communicate with breeder B once we decide which way we're going. And then to complicate things I keep looking at lab puppies!!! Ugh! Why must they be so damn adorable!

I'd go with they way Shelley approached it.

Which one is the NJ breeder? For some reason I think they have been in the breed longer, maybe a better choice for a new breed for you?

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    I'd go with they way Shelley approached it.

Which one is the NJ breeder? For some reason I think they have been in the breed longer, maybe a better choice for a new breed for you?
    Breeder A is from NJ and has been breeding this breed since 1999 with a break for a couple of yrs in between. Breeder B is from Canada but her next litter will be whelped in NY. She's been breeding this breed since 2009 (officially).

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos