Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Single dog or multiple?

How more complicated is it to have 2 dogs? What about the age gap and size diff if you have two dogs? I only ever had one but bouncing around the idea of maybe having 2 at sometime in the future. Partly because I may still want a labby again... Just can't let the labs go!

I don't know, I have 6. 2 was super easy.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

dxboon (01-31-2017), Scoutpout (01-31-2017)

Senior Dog
    I’m with Jen - have 3 now, have had 4 in the past. 2 was nothing, LOL.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (01-31-2017)

House Broken
    The only obstacle to having two dogs we have experienced is traveling. There are many places that will take one dog. Most say small dog but will fudge a Lab. Some places may not fudge two dogs. We haven't traveled since we got the third dog

We've had 2 boxers together, 2 bullmastiffs together, and now 2 labs together. The boxers and bullmastiffs were no more than a year apart in age, Chase and Lark are 6 years apart in age. I don't find it much more complicated even though I take mine to the vet separately, they went to obedience classes separately, I often walk them separately. They're all complications of my own devising though.

It's more expensive to have 2, especially when we need to board them at a kennel. Age-wise, I wish Chase and Lark were closer in age so their activity levels might be more closely matched. I am glad we got them far enough apart that Chase was pretty well trained before we got Lark and I could then focus on Lark's training and babyhood. Ideally I'd probably go for more of a 3-4 year age difference but Lark is now 4 years old and Chase seems pretty healthy, so Larky will probably be a few years older if we decide to get another after Chase, um, departs and I won't achieve that age span then either, unless we adopt an older dog.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    We've had 2 boxers together, 2 bullmastiffs together, and now 2 labs together. The boxers and bullmastiffs were no more than a year apart in age, Chase and Lark are 6 years apart in age. I don't find it much more complicated even though I take mine to the vet separately, they went to obedience classes separately, I often walk them separately. They're all complications of my own devising though.

It's more expensive to have 2, especially when we need to board them at a kennel. Age-wise, I wish Chase and Lark were closer in age so their activity levels might be more closely matched. I am glad we got them far enough apart that Chase was pretty well trained before we got Lark and I could then focus on Lark's training and babyhood. Ideally I'd probably go for more of a 3-4 year age difference but Lark is now 4 years old and Chase seems pretty healthy, so Larky will probably be a few years older if we decide to get another after Chase, um, departs and I won't achieve that age span then either, unless we adopt an older dog.
    We’ve had all sorts of age differences and it’s all worked out: Scully and Mulder were 3 years apart, which was wonderful, but were 14 and 11 when we got Chloe, who was a year old when we added Jolie who was Mulder’s age. Chloe was 6 when Cookie and Sassy were born and they are of course the same age. So we’ve had differences of 3 years, 11-14 years, 6 years, and 0 years. It’s all worked out fine, although I wouldn’t recommend littermates to anyone who isn’t already experienced at managing multiple dogs. We were lucky that Mulder was a youngish 11 when we added Chloe (he was still showing in Obedience) as he was willing to play with her. Even Scully, who was pretty arthritic at 14 would play with her but it was funny - she would lay down and play bitey face when Chloe would approach her, but wouldn’t get up and chase her like Mulder did. Not all older dogs would be that tolerant of a puppy, and we of course limited their interactions so that they got plenty of “non-puppy” time, as well as giving Chloe plenty of one-on-one training time with us.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    I don't know, I have 6. 2 was super easy.
    Lol! :-)

I have three; ages 7, 5, and a puppy who is 9 months. To me, it's all about how much time you have and resources. I make time each day to do separate training sessions. The puppy will be walked separately for a while. That's time consuming. Two was great for me, and three is my personal max.

Depends on the dogs and your lifestyle. If they are not trained well, it can be hard taking two out in public at the same time. Mine are well trained, but I would never take both to say, Home Depot. I will walk them both, take them both hiking and swimming, to the beach, places where they can be more free. But even then, you're constantly watching two dogs.

It's way more expensive. Boarding for three nights is $200. Both dogs to the vet for yearly check-up can be several hundred dollars. Does your car fit two dogs? My Outback is at max with two Labs unless I put down the back seats and turn it into a "dog car". Twice as much food, so whatever you feed, double it. When I was training two dogs it was costing me about $600 per month including matches, trials, lessons, classes, drop-ins, etc. If they are close in age or if one ages faster, you have old dog stuff going on at the same time.

I'm used to it, but it can be taxing. Mine are 5 and three, boys, same size (large).

I'll be honest....i really love having one dog. I got a second dog (Penny) to have a sport dog/running companion and to help when the time comes and Rocky is no longer here. that plan went up in smokes sadly and at this point i don't have the money or the...readiness emotionally for another dog. nor do I think it would be fair to Rocky.

Now, for me part of the issue is it's JUST me and i work full time outside the home (plus transit time). So if I have class with one dog it means the other is alone yet again. So it was a lot of extra guilt. Rocky was super laid back so could tag a long to many things like dock diving weekends with no issue and we had a great arrangement at our agility classes (again because he was so laid back he just chilled quietly, got some loving and extra treats, was a happy boy). So I think if both are super well trained and calm (when needed) it could still work for the most part.

But then again, many things I easily did with two (it was just an issue as rocky was getting older, couldn't run with me, even long walks i'd have to drop him off and keep on with Penny). I made plenty of car trips with two dogs (often with fosters).

My ideal age gap is probably 4-5 years. get the one dog fully trained (i like to dabble in sports) and then as they slow down the puppy would be adult and ready to start. I can't imagine having two seniors.

Then the extra cost. It was fine while Penny was super healthy and rocky had only minor issues - but then lots of things hit the fan at the same time and it got harder and harder and harder.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos