Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talk to me about therapy dogs

I was toying with the idea of getting into therapy with my next dog. I haven't done any research on the topic yet so starting on this forum as I'm sure there are a few involved in the field. There's a training facility in my neighborhood. So talk to me about what's involved in getting your dog certified, trained, any good resources to read, your experience etc.

Thanks!

Rocky was "certified" by a local group and did visits for a few years at a long term care facility.

I'd start by seeing if there is a local group in your area that helps test/find placements for people just because that's easier (to me anyway). I liked that they had contacts in facilities and mentored new members (so first few visits I went with someone else and their dog, then they came to my visit visit with Rocky then I was on my own). Because I was in a hospital with their OWN volunteer program, I had a day or half day of training to get done there and used their volunteer log-in system and stuff.

The group I worked with tested via the TDI test found here: Therapy Dogs International
    After passing we went to some info sessions and were placed in a facility (I didn't really care where, as long as it was closer to my place). Locally there are classes to prep for the test. Rocky really had the temperment for the job (which is why I did it) so we found out about the test less than a week before we went to take it :P He wasn't perfect, he doesn't have a gentle mouth (not that they are supposed to be fed at all during visits but some patients really really really wanted to give him stuff - it was hard).

They have rules. If I remember they didn't want dogs eating RAW (or not within 48 hours of the visit - but this will greatly depend on the type of facility you are going to). They also had some issues with washing the dog monthly but I honestly didn't do that.

I'd talk to the breeder if this interests you. Ideally find a breeder that has some puppies (or their own dogs) that have done some of this as well. They'll potentially point a specific puppy or two that would be a better potential fit.

Is St-John's ambulance a thing in the US? If so they have program for therapy dogs.

Surprisingly Rocky was FINISHED after an hour. he loves attention but short term. Plus as a big dog he can't just snooze on the bed with the patient. He'd have to sit on a chair.

I think Penny wuld have loved it too had we ever gotten the face licking and jumping under control :P I joked that she loved too much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

annkie (02-01-2017)

Tux is a certified therapy dog. I got him as a puppy, and we do therapy work simply b/c I noticed how much he absolutely loves people. The few times we went to a dog park he chose to socialize with the people there over the dogs. I aim to make him happy, so I started to look into how I could get him started with therapy work. We are certified with a local group. There are many different groups just in my state, and they all have different rules and screening tests.

Yes it would be recommended to see if the breeder has any dogs of hers who have done this, or have her pick you a puppy with this thought in mind. As for training, basic obedience is definitely a must, but I feel like the temperament and desire to do therapy work has to be there as well. Most any dog can be taught obedience, and most who are obedient would likely tolerate going on visits and be perfectly behaved and appropriate. The main reason I like to do therapy visits with Tux is b/c he absolutely loves to do it and it is very obvious.

So this maybe a stupid question... would you say dogs who are fit for therapy like to be less active in general? As in... have a more "loungy" personality.

Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
    So this maybe a stupid question... would you say dogs who are fit for therapy like to be less active in general? As in... have a more "loungy" personality.

no not necessarily. Many dogs even do both sports (agility/flyball) as well as therapy visits. but i guess many would have been pretty big lugs/quiet. Rocky is pretty laid back admittedly though I did A LOT with him.

I wanted to echo the above, i got into it because everyone said he'd be a great therapy dog. and he too spent his time at the dog park with the people not the dogs mostly (if he wasn't digging a hole or eating poop).

WE looked into it but did not proceed as the agency I would have gone with wanted us to commit to a specific client on a schedule. With my Aunt in nursing home and my Mum in a different retirement facility it seemed silly when I could visit them and the other residents. This one agency did provide insurance for me and my dog and I've read that's a good thing to have.

Whether Oban would have passed I can't say but for a blustery bull in a china shop he is surprisingly good with the residents and staff often think he is a therapy dog and ask us to visit other people. I do tell them he is not. The point is, I don't think they have to be "loungy" less active dogs.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever

The lady who did our CGC classes said Sophie would make a perfect therapy dog, as she loves people, and wants to be loved on all the time. I never pursued it as we have so much else going on. Sophie is pretty laid back and a bit of a couch tater, but she goes nuts to meet/greet people.

Talk to me about therapy dogs

Sam is a certified therapy dog. We are very active with our organization. We visit three retirement homes on a regular weekly basis, an adult daycare for people with various stages of dementia and in the last six months have added an elementary school reading program to our schedule. Today we had a great visit with the officers at our local police station. They let us bring a small group of dogs into roll call to offer our support and give the officers a bit of stress relief. It's all very rewarding but we like visiting the Seniors the best. It is so special to bring your dog to visit the Seniors because they appreciate it so much. Many of them have had dogs all of their lives, and can’t have one anymore. Our visits bring back fond memories for them, and they enjoy telling us stories about the pets they had in their lives. Even the residents in memory care units love to pet Sam. They may not be able to tell us with words but they don’t want us to leave. It’s very heartwarming. The first step to becoming a therapy dog with our group is to pass the CGC. After that you can take therapy therapy exam. It was two exhausting days of testing in real life situations. We went to a community event and went through obedience drills with major distractions. We visited a nursing home, library, fire station and ate with the dogs at a restaurant. We even went to the local mall and rode the escalators. Sam is definitely not a couch potato but when he puts on his vest he knows its time to work and he can place in one spot for an hour or more. I hope this helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Georgia; 02-04-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

annkie (02-05-2017)

i think from a different point of view you just need a letter from your shrink saying your dogs help you with whatever you are diagnosed with. pretty low standard imo.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos