Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Help.....I think

Okay I have an issue that may or may not be a problem so I need some advice!!

We have an almost two yr old male lab who is a great dog (after he got through his crazy puppy stages.) Last week we brought home an 8 wk old sister!!! Both were from the same reputable breeder!!

They get along for the most part. The issue is when the pup starts to nip, the 2 yr old begins to growl and at times will mouth the back of her beck area?!?!

i have read to leave them alone because they are establishing who's who on the totem pole BUT the mouth around her neck thing is driving us crazy!!! He's just so much bigger than her and it would only take a second to hurt her so! She has never cried during ANY time with him so he's not hurting her but it just looks sooooo intimidating!!!!

I will add that we always keep a leash on the puppy, at times put the 2 yr olds e collar on and NEVER leave them alone unsupervised. This is the first time either of us have ever had two dogs together so we are not use to this behavior!

I am hoping that we are just over reacting and need to calm ourselves down but just don't know so...,

thanks ka for any and all replies!!!!!

I think you are wise to watch carefully and be ready to intervene. Your boy sounds like a good big brother but he could hurt the puppy inadvertently. It sounds like he is being very restrained and good with her. I know exactly how you feel though. I brought home a 6 week old kitten and looked over to see my Lab girl, my wonderful Jet , doing the same thing to the kitten. Not the growling but she was nibbling his neck. The kitten appeared to be not only unconcerned but actually to be loving it. Still, I supervised all their interactions till kitten was older.

Oban, my current Lab, is very good with puppies. He is afraid of such young ones and avoids them but when they get to be little shark monsters he'll do the exact same thing and he hasn't hurt a puppy yet. Still, again, I supervise.

Hello and Welcome from your southern neighbor (IL).

Not the best on puppy advice since we home seniors. Sounds like your older dog is giving appropriate corrections but both should be supervised as you are doing.

Looking forward to pictures of your furkids.

Not sure if you can feel the relief in a post but I am feeling much better about his behavior!!

He allows her to bite at his face and never seems upset but more annoyed at times when she bites his tail, legs and that's when the growling/mouthing starts.

I can completely understand his actions and I think my wife and I rushing in may elevate the situation!!

Oh and hello IL neighbor!

Senior Dog
    Hi, Welcome to the Board. Never had multiple dogs at once, so can't comment to help. But hope you update, as we are looking in the future to having a two lab family.

Love the avatar pic of your new pup! Would love to see pics of the Big Brother!

KAZ

Not being there, I can only guess that he is teaching her her bounderies and manners. Mine are the same age and sometimes correct each other. I think the size difference is what is disconcerting to you. I would watch but not intervene because he is doing his job as big brother and will make it much easier for you to train.
    BTW - "bitey face" is a very fun game so don't freak out when they start playing it.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    You're definitely wise to watch.

But this is what we had with our first and second Labs:

-copy-brutus-hershey-jpg-jpg

Fierce face on both Brutus (the big yellow guy) and his instant best friend Hershey.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (06-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post

Fierce face on both Brutus (the big yellow guy) and his instant best friend Hershey.
    No help for the OP, as it's already all been said, but I just HAVE to tell you, Barb, the bitey face photo is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. I LOVE it. So precious.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

SunDance (06-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post

cute!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

SunDance (06-21-2014)

Senior Dog
    Thanks, both....it was so much fun to watch them playing. Bru was a big gentle giant...and it was love at first sight when we let little Hersh out of the carrier for the first time.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos