Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)

Dog Food Recall: Evanger Beef Hunks

Dog Food Advisor reports that Evanger’s Dog and Cat Food Company, Inc. of Wheeling, Illinois, is recalling specific lots of its Hunk of Beef product due to potential contamination with the deadly drug, pentobarbital.
    Pentobarbital can affect animals that ingest it, and possibly cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance or nausea — or in extreme cases, death.

What’s Being Recalled?

Although pentobarbital was detected in a single lot, the company is recalling all related Hunk of Beef products manufactured the week of June 6 through June 13, 2016.

The affected lots numbers that start with 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB, and have an expiration date of June 2020.

The second half of the barcode reads 20109, which can be found on the back of the product label.

Where Was the Product Sold?

The affected products were sold both online and also distributed to retail locations only in the following states:

• California
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Minnesota
    • New York
    • Ohio
    • Pennsylvania
    • South Carolina
    • Washington
    • Wisconsin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Pr. For This Useful Post:

Georgia (02-08-2017)

Thanks.

Geez, Evangers is one of the brands of can food I go to if needed (after tooth surgery, etc). Ah, not for me, for Archie.

How in the heck did that medication get in the food?
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

That's a weird canned one too. It's literally a hunk of beef in the can. I opt not to ever feed that one because it's hard to split between 6 dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I was wondering that, too.

This makes me nervous as I give Evanger's grain free Buffalo as a topper to the boys. I have for years.

Nancy

Thanks for the info I do admit quite strange to see Pentobarbital in dog food.
    Another reason why we went raw.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

One of my FB friends is really close to the company and the story behind this is really weird. She's been sharing the info from Evanger. They paid the vet bills for the dogs that this supposedly affected before any testing was done, as a goodwill gesture when the owners created a Fund Me page and blamed the dog food. The tests from the food have not come back yet and the food they tested from the same batch did not have it, but Evanger's is doing this as a precaution. I don't know what's right or true, but there are two sides to the story. BTW, I don't feed Evangers and have no stake in the brand whatsoever, just sharing what I have heard from the other side.

That medication is used to euthanize animals. Since the dog food industry often used disabled animals, that have been euthanized, it's not surprising.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    That medication is used to euthanize animals. Since the dog food industry often used disabled animals, that have been euthanized, it's not surprising.
    Looking at the ingredients list it claims to be 100% roast beef. Not to say that other brands are not doing what you are saying.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Looking at the ingredients list it claims to be 100% roast beef. Not to say that other brands are not doing what you are saying.
    There was something about they took the sample from a euthanized dog's stomach. All I know is that the whole story is actually weird. I think it might be on their website. Here is the link: Pug Family Update - Evangers

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos