Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does a laid back dog=couch potato?

The breeder I'm currently in communication with mentioned that her dam an sire are more laid back than the avg of their breed (not a lab). And on one hand, coming off from a very energetic lab, perhaps that's a good thing. It may be a nice change especially with a 3 yr old at home. But at the same time I'd like a dog that enjoys being active (because I do) and could do therapy training. The sire has his grand championship status and the dam is working towards her championship status. The breeder will be picking out the dog for me which is a bit nerve racking but I understand why. I shared with her the activities I'd like to do with my dog such as take the dog to outdoor restaurants, swimming at the lake, hiking, walks on sidewalks or park, play fetch, teach other command, etc. I really want a smart dog. You know, the one that has that focus in the eyes like my Jules did.

So, I guess I'm wondering... A: if parents are laid back and the pup will be laid back does that result in a lazy or couch potato pup? And B: what if I get a dumb puppy? ugh. My in-laws have a black lab like that. He's gorgeous and lovable but not the sharpest tool in the box. It does not make for a fun to train dog.

Senior Dog
    I think it depends on a lot of things, including the breed. For example, a laid-back Newfie is pretty darn laid back, but a laid back Parson Russell is still pretty active. So what is typical for the breed? You’re looking at Welsh Springers, right? I’ve only known one, but if they are similar to English Springers, then even a laid back one should be fine for your purposes. I would think most dogs would be up for the types of things you mentioned, even if they to tend towards the laid back side.

I know what you mean about not wanting a dumb puppy, but the best way to avoid that is to make sure the parents have brains. And it is very possible to achieve breed championships without them (not to say that you can’t have dogs that are smart AND good looking, just that having a CH or even GCH is no guarantee). Does the breeder do any sort of performance things with her dogs which might be a better test? Have you met either parent and been able to get a sense from them? It can sometimes be hard to tell by watching them as young puppies. Cookie for example, used to fall asleep in the litter box (and other things that made us wonder) but as I’ve discovered while working her in Obedience she is actually a genius. Reminds me of an absent-minded professor sometimes.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I don't know what laid back means in regards to what you are looking at breedwise and it's relative, anyway. I've had people call Linus busy and others asking me if I am going to do therapy work with him because he's so quiet. But on the other hand, I had to pull him from agility because I'm afraid he's going to injure himself since he goes "balls to the walls". When I hear someone say "laid back" it doesn't mean to me that the dog is lazy, just that it's not full of anxiety or nervousness, it's more go with the flow. I know plenty of laid back people who are competitive distance runners.

What do you mean by smart? Do you mean biddable? Trainable? Or a border collie type of smart where you would have to work really hard to keep up with him? You also have to consider how sensitive or resilient the dog is. A dog can be really smart but sensitive, so it's harder to see how smart they are. Or, a dog can be not very smart, but super biddable and trainable and do better than the super smart dog that isn't a team player and runs circles (literally and figuratively) around their owners. Or you can have a very resilient dog that isn't very biddable and seems stubborn.

Unfortunately, it's not really that easy!

Rocky is SUPER laid back. Super.

But I have done so much with him over the years. we jogged together until he got too old for it. HE did FLYBALL of all things. he humored me in agilty (and was in fact a good dog to learn the ropes with as he wasn't too fast to control). He did lots of long walks with me (an hour or two).

I think laid back is perfect for a family with a kid. They are happy to chill at home and don't get ansty, but as long as they are properly conditioned to exercise, they are also happy to go out and about.

You don't need "smart" you need "biddable". meaning the dog is happy to do stuff for you (obviously they should get a pay for it too). Smart just means they are always one step ahead :P
    Also - I have a theory that many "stupid dogs" are not stupid at all. owners just don't know what motivates them/how to communicate.

All good points mentioned. I guess Jules set the standard for me. He was very easy to train most things. I'd show him something literally 3 times and he'd get it. It was awesome and fun for me to train him because he caught on so quickly.

This breeder only competes in conformation. She owns the dam and mentioned that she's thinking of starting nose work as the dog seems to have a niche for it. The welshies are suppose to be good with their noses. Maybe I'm over thinking it. It's nerve wracking having someone else pick a dog for you especially when it's a 15 yr commitment. I met the dam and the puppies yesterday. The mom seemed really lovely and had a very calm disposition. She did get a bit defensive when we were standing up and moving around the puppies but that's understandable. She seemed like a good attentive mama.

I don't know what's laid back in a Welch, but I know with our newest lab Tickle, she came into the house calm and laid back, and she was more than happy to lay on the couch with the big dogs from the get go. But take her to the park or out in the fields, she runs and investigates with the best of them. The last few "break-outs" where I had to hunt dogs were instigated by my most laid back dog, Tickle! LOL And on the breeder picking the dog, I didn't pick Tickle. Yet she is the perfect dog for us. Don't over think that. The breeder lives with the pups, knows them inside out.

Bear is chill as well. But he's an instigator just like Tickle. And the very same breeder that picked Tickle for Jen picked Bear for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

JenC (02-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
    All good points mentioned. I guess Jules set the standard for me. He was very easy to train most things. I'd show him something literally 3 times and he'd get it. It was awesome and fun for me to train him because he caught on so quickly.

This breeder only competes in conformation. She owns the dam and mentioned that she's thinking of starting nose work as the dog seems to have a niche for it. The welshies are suppose to be good with their noses. Maybe I'm over thinking it. It's nerve wracking having someone else pick a dog for you especially when it's a 15 yr commitment. I met the dam and the puppies yesterday. The mom seemed really lovely and had a very calm disposition. She did get a bit defensive when we were standing up and moving around the puppies but that's understandable. She seemed like a good attentive mama.
    This new dog is not going to be Jules. It might be best to table your expectations and go with the flow. Trust me, I know that it's hard to let it go, but you have to. Every dog, every person, is an individual with their own strengths and weaknesses and their "born with" personality and temperament traits. They all teach us something. Some are hard lessons, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    This new dog is not going to be Jules. It might be best to table your expectations and go with the flow. Trust me, I know that it's hard to let it go, but you have to. Every dog, every person, is an individual with their own strengths and weaknesses and their "born with" personality and temperament traits. They all teach us something. Some are hard lessons, too.

I know... I miss my boy.

Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
    I know... I miss my boy.
    You might consider whether this is really the time to get a new puppy, if you are still grieving your late dog. Only you can determine that. I have three dogs currently, all chosen for me by their respective breeders based on what I wanted to do with the dogs. "Smart" doesn't necessarily equate to how you describe your prior dog and how easy he was to train. Many "smart" dogs require more work and activity, monitoring and training to harness their minds. If they are not challenged and monitored properly, they can become destructive "Marley" type dogs. My smartest dog is not destructive, and he picks up on things very quickly, but he is also a busy body and instigator. My couch potato is very laid back, but is an active hiker and worker when he's asked to be "on."

If you've never worked with a breeder before who is picking out your puppy for you, I can understand your hesitation, but if you've done your homework on the breeder (and been honest about your lifestyle and needs), that should be the last of your concerns. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me they wanted the "mellow" puppy and that's the one they picked from the litter, only to find out that their pup does a great impression of a Tasmanian Devil 24/7 once home. Happens all the time.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos