Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

What would you do..? Bad habits resurface

Jun 20 at 12:45 PM
    Had Moses since he was 9 weeks old
    A good healthy puppy
    Born July 20th.. in my arms Sept 20th
    Never an accident in the house
    Say around Late November he started having hissy fits.
    Example he would be tearing up the rug or chewing on something
    If you told him No or HEY etc...he would bit your leg or arm (not super hard but more like play biting,) but would really hold on to your pants or shirt
    Would bark (sounded like a mad bark) and jump at you then run around the house like crazy..(where back legs could not keep up with the front legs

Never ever did i think a lab could be like this..
    This lasted Late Nov to late March (it was one of the worse time periods for me )..i was ashamed and really thought i failed my dog
    Tried everything to correct

Moses was to Puppy .Beginner and Adult Classes ( all were 6 to 8 week per class) one Private.

Then . in April THE BAD behavior stopped Moses was around 7.5 to 8 months
    This was such a relief,,
    This bad behavior baffled and tortured me for 4 months..

====================

Now in the last 2 weeks Moses had 3 to 4 outbreaks of bad behavior

Need advise on these two issues
    1) This behavior only happens when I an in the yard (walking around)
    He will jump and nip @ me..how do you think a should handle this..?
    Right now I turn my back ignore him and walk back into the house
    If I tried to correct him ,,I know I would act up more
    What would you do when this happens..?

2)The person that lets Moses out in thee afternoon. Adores Moses
    Been letting Moses out in the afternoon since he was 9 weeks old
    Two week ago when he put him back in the cage..and gave him a wee bit (kibble) like he normally gets,,for 9 months with no problem
    Moses had a Hissy fit and was biting the cage door and growling (the person who let's Moses out is 70 yo and never seen this behavior) with Moses
    I told him next time if this ever happens not to close the door ..get some other treat and put it in the cage then close it
    Luckily this only happened once
    Any advise what I would tell this person if this happens again
    I don't want to lose a per sitter that I had for over 20 years

Senior Dog
    is moses getting enough exercise?

When my older boy was young and had his episodes of zoomies, he would dash around like a crazy animal and if he ran by me (or my husband), he would often kind of jump at me, my arm, whatever, often hitting me with his mouth or teeth. He would keep going until the mood had passed and he had expended whatever energy he had stored up. He would even do this after a long walk when I was tired but he clearly was not. He was not mad at us, not attacking us, just totally exuberant and running off his energy. I just learned to dodge him, kind of spin away when I saw him nearing me and we only did it outside. There's not enough space in my house for running zoomies, much less running and jumping zoomies. He rarely does it any more and I actually am kind of happy when he does it now. When it first started, I was a little concerned but I quickly learned that it was play/energy/happiness and not an attack. My younger lab has never done it, not once.

The second situation, don't know for sure. If I were the one facing it I'd probably do something different than I'd do for a friend or dog walker. In this instance, I might see if there's a slightly more interesting treat to give him when he goes back into his crate, such as a Kong with some peanut butter smeared inside and frozen or a dehydrated sweet potato chip- something they cannot just gobble down in a flash. I'd throw it in the back of the crate and when he runs in to get it, close the door behind him while his attention is still on the treat. I give mine a sweet potato chip when I leave for work and when they see me get out the bag, they cannot get to their bed or crate fast enough. They run in, lie down, and I hand them the chip- no need to throw it in the back.

Like bett, it occurs to me he could use more exercise- running exercise, not just a walk. Walks never tired my older boy, my younger one is just a different personality and doesn't need as much exercise as my older boy did as a younger lad.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Jimbo B (06-22-2014)

^^^
    What Smartrock says!
    "Zoomies" are Labs way of burning off excess energy. When the zoomies start, stand back, so as not to get nipped and wait it out. It is not a teachable moment. I open the sliding door and tell them to "take it outside"!
    My back yard used to have a "zoomie path" created by my girls.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

Jimbo B (06-22-2014), Tanya (06-22-2014)

House Broken
    Thanks Sue

The first situation you explained beautifully..( running around) like a crazy man.
    This is exactly how Moses acts .....(just that he did not do it for over 2 months)
    Still hard to take for me..cause the only option is to dodge and go into the house
    Then wait till he come to the door(which is instantly) then I tell him to sit then I let him in (the fit is over)

It was good knowing you too faced this... and confirming it energy

No lie,,it seems sometimes he acts this way when he gets to much exercise
    Last occurred on Monday 6/16/14
    On 6/14/14..he was to doggie day care for a half day (he goes every Saturday) so I can clean and do work around the house
    He is ther eno more then 4 to 5 hours ..but man is is wiped out when we come home
    The 6/15/14...had him off leash and swimming for a good 2 hours
    Monday 6/16/16...had for the morning walk before I go to work..was out inr the yard and the zoomies (as you call it) BTW I like this word ZOOMIES
    Then in the afternoon 6/16/14 he was growing and biting the cage door(for the pet sitter)
    Moses has never any problem with his cage,,( going in by himself)..but never wants to be put in..

Sitter said he gave food ,,as he mormally does..Moses when in the cage then had a hissy fit

House Broken
    Thanks
    You are all making me feel better about these so called ZOOMIES.(I like the word)
    Plus makes me feel better some of you faced this too
    Just never had a lab with the zoomies before

I got a ton a questions on other subjects all dog related
    Moses is a pc of work

Sounds like you have a normal teenage lab. From what I've learned on here, it can be horrible. Yep, the zoomies (butt tucking) need to be run off. Out the door. Archie, even at 6 years old, has his spells, normally once in the morning and again in the evening. Take it outside bud!

Step back in training. It's not a defeat, it's reinforcing what his teenage brain chose to ignore. Go total NILF (nothing in life in free). You want to eat - sit, stay, etc.

You'll make it through to the other side, maybe with a few frayed nerves, but you'll make it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Jimbo B (06-23-2014)

I think I can set the clock by Thor's zoomies! We usually have a nice long evening session of fetch, and about half way through he'll just go nuts and run laps around the house and yard. Then he'll take a break and be back to the focused game we were playing. I just let him run them out - since it's our evening play session it usually is enough to wipe him out for the rest of the night and he'll go to sleep. If he had a really big outing earlier in the day - a longer than normal walk or hike, or playtime with another pup, the zoomies don't happen. It's definitely an excess energy thing.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Jimbo B (06-22-2014)

House Broken
    I appreciate all you help

It made me a better dog person ..knowing the word ZOOMIES..never heard if this before.(but a perfect word)
    Moses ZOOMS around the yard like a speeding race car..ready to crash (into me)
    Will it come from the right ,left. behind or where is hurts..
    I gotta run for cover when I see the zoomies coming

Thanks again folks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo B For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (06-22-2014)

Watch out for the zoomies! I've been hit from behind and knocked down

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

Jimbo B (06-23-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos