Sorry, He's Not Usually On the Leash

This is a first. Yesterday a man we met apologized for having his dog leashed. Dogs are allowed off leash and most are, at this place. IN fact I can't remember the last time we saw anyone leashed up there. As we all know, one leashed and the other not can be not good dynamics for a doggy meeting. But this man had parked on the road and was nearly to his car and didn't want his dog to get out on the road. It's a big GR, lovely dark colour and he's intact. Oban and he have met before and they've always just passed by each other. They had a little sniff, I called Oban, he looked up to see I was continuing the walk without him so he raced after me.

Nobody has ever apologized for their dog being leashed when most are not and allowed to be off leash. Most dog owners we meet don't seem to have a clue the leash on one and not the other could be a bad set up for a meeting. What do you find?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Well, technically dogs aren’t supposed to be off-lead where we take them, although ours are under very good voice control so I don’t feel bad about it and rarely encounter other dogs (and when they see them mine don’t go running up to them), but no, can’t say I’ve had anyone acknowledge the dynamic at all.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Well... you might be seeing a lot more people acting ashamed because they have their dog under control with a lead and collar (let alone an e-collar.) This was disseminated on another website by a successful Ob person who is transitioning to FT. If you're like me, your eyes will bug out. AND the city council in Toronto has passed a similar law, only the CKC went ape all over them, so they agreed to put the law into abeyance while they "studied it some more."

I am not sure exactly who is behind this, but others have said it is an organization of (I assume) positive only professional trainers, and they are aligned with the Animal Rights crowd.

I went on the IACP website and it doesn't strike me as a group that would be anti-restraint, all cookies and clickers never anything else. In fact they say they promote humane use of all training methods. So... I don't know exactly where it's coming from. However, somehow any restraint is animal cruelty. If this kind of thinking infects enough citizens, responsible pet ownership, let alone animal competitions and shows) will be impossible.

So here is the proposed statute and commentary:

If you live in Florida and train your dog, you need to read this. This is what's going on in Hillsborough County, Florida. This is scary stuff. It specifically prohibits slip collars, head collars, crates, short leads, competitions and exercises that are repetitive (and it specifically mentions obedience and agility), and withholding food and water. Under this, we would be in violation just for stepping into the conformation ring with a dog on a show collar, doing any kind of agility or obedience training, or crating a dog. Or not feeding a dog on the morning of a show day.

Pictures of proposed legislation -
    https://www.facebook.com/carla.parravani.5/posts/10210427146128348

T
    he vote of the Commisioners is May 3, 2017. FYI here is the link to the organizers of the petition FOR. https://sargeslaw.com/

IACP - Members Group , president Tyler Muto constructed this strategic template, and has done the heavy lifting !! If you haven't done so, become a member
    of lACP, you do not need to be a canine professional to be a member. The IACP is the only organization that advocate for your rights and freedoms internationally!!

****URGENT CALL TO ACTION FOR ALL DOG OWNERS! NEED YOUR HELP BEFORE FRIDAY, 03/31/2017****

There is something really important happening in the dog training community. Hillsborough County Florida (as well as the state of FL) is proposing legislation that will make it ILLEGAL to use any TRAINING COLLAR (slip lead, prong collar, ecollar) and any method that is not considered positive-only. This is VERY real and on our door step. Please continue reading to have your voice heard. It does not matter if you live in the county or not, you can still write a letter! If it passes, it will soon be presented as a state-wide law. And it could extend nationwide. Your voice as an owner will weigh more than the voices of trainers! The lives of dogs depend on it! We need you and these letters e-mailed BEFORE FRIDAY, 03/31/2017.

So, do your part. Be vigilant. And when any acquaintance expresses the restraint=cruelty mind set... do what you can to educate them.

Thanks for the info Tumick, I live in hillsborough county and had not heard of this.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos