Tower shoot 'trievers

Posted just now · Report post
    Aye Mates,
    Spent this past Saturday at an invitational tower shoot for 30 guns with 1100 released birds in miserable weather conditions that battered the participants with wind driven freezing rains and snow. Despite the brutal New England weather and winter not wishing to release it's grasp, the atmosphere in the lodge at Markover Preserve was buzzing with the anticipation o' gunners that had traveled several hundred miles to partake in the event. Me good Mates Kevin and Keith Olsen owners of Markover Preserve are gracious hosts and experts at managing their facility for tower shoot events and guided walk up style hunts on their ample acreage. Limited nightly lodging is available on the grounds in a beautifully designed lodge that is both welcoming and reasonably priced. Don't hesitate to contact Keith and Kevin at Markover where bird hunting memories are made amongst grand friends.

So, Keith had called me and asked if I could bring some retrievers to work "pick up" o' birds at the event. I told him I would and contacted Rick, owner o' a retriever I have trained for him named "REV", a highly bird driven and stylish retriever out of great field trial bloodlines. At 2.5 years old, REV is proving himself to be a formidable gun dog and hunt test K9 athlete. I also elected to take along me own personal gun dog TRAD - closing in on 3.5 years old is no slouch himself as both a gun dog and hunt test K9 athlete and will be campaigned toward his AKC Master Hunter and HRC Hunting Retriever Champion titles this year. Both REV and TRAD have trained extensively together under me guidance and both are finely honed bird hunting machines that live to work.

Tower shoots provide a rich training environment to work retrievers that are able to handle high levels of distraction and to improve their abilities to do so. Numerous birds flying overhead, high frequency gunfire much o' it in close proximity to the dogs that are expected to remain rock steady under said conditions, and seeing birds continually falling to the ground after being folded in mid-air while the retrievers must remain steady until issued command to make the retrieve are grand opportunities to reinforce advanced gun dog skills already trained. Additionally, both REV and TRAD were expected to "honor" each other, one remaining steady on the line whilst the other was said to make the retrieve. The dogs were worked randomly in honoring so that a pattern of predictability was not possible for them, this bolstering steadiness skills to a high level. We also vary length of delay randomly before sending dogs to make their retrieve by using their call name as the release command. This let's each dog know precisely which ks expected to retrieve and which is expected to honor, it also reinforces steadiness whilst bolstering drive.

The day was divided into a morning and afternoon gunning session with a break at Markover Lodge for a baked chicken luncheon with all the trimmings and the opportunity for the guest gunners and dog handlers to warm up in the cozy and beautifully appointed setting amongst fellow gunners . Great food, accommodations, and gunning experiences, the lodge buzzed with stories and excitement during the break. Grand bird gunning memories are made at Markover Preserve.

P1030218Resized.thumb.jpg.05151ff9603f8c6ec0e3dbb3 73d4e77c.jpg
    REV (foreground) and TRAD (background) are steady on the line and scanning the sky for birds in hopes o' being sent on retrieve. The spent hulls on the ground lend context to the number of shots fired during such shoots. Hulls are picked up and recycled.

P1030173Resized.thumb.JPG.db66c811ea6ecf51ecd1707f 70683ffe.JPG
    Fast and furious gunning was enjoyed by this gentleman gunner and the old boy was one hell o' a fine wing shooter. TRAD is at the ready and "marking" birds as they fell. The gunners not only enjoyed fine wing shooting, but also marveled at the grand dog work throughout the shoot.

P1030213Resized.thumb.jpeg.19d49fcbf9e57775d8bc5fd 45b23dc89.jpeg
    REV and TRAD seem to be saying "I HAVE YOUR BACK BUDDY" as they each cover the skyline in opposing directions in watching for birds folded in mid-flight.

P1030177Resized.thumb.jpeg.e6ab1921021a96ca38444e8 e27fbf89d.jpeg
    TRAD at work on hold o' a downed and retrieved bird. TRAD is the consummate gun dog retriever, bird driven, stylish afield, great nose and tracking abilities on live and cold game resulting in little loss on cripples, and a very soft mouth carry with classic presentation to hand. Highly social and loyal, he is a joyful companion dog. A first time litter o' pups sired by a TRAD X MAGGIE breeding should be whelped during the last week o' this month, should make for grand retriever gun dog prospects.

P1030190Resized.thumb.jpg.e8fb8871bc90ea4aa088e232 aa8e9b5a.jpg
    REV - "THE SMOKING GUN" feathers glued to REV'S bottom lip serve as evidence he has been hard at work picking up numerous birds. REV wouldn't have it any other way.

So Mates, a glimpse at some scenes from the shoot and a bit o' the training strategies we employ in making it a beneficial day for the retrievers and an opportunity for the gunners to witness some first class gun dogs at work. Another grand day o' memories made at Markover Preserve.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler / Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p1030218resized-jpg   -p1030173resized-jpg   -p1030213resized-jpg   -p1030177resized-jpg   -p1030190resized-jpg  

Last edited by IRISHWISTLER; 04-03-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (04-04-2017), JackK (04-04-2017), POPTOP (04-03-2017), Scoutpout (04-03-2017), TuMicks (04-06-2017), zd262 (04-03-2017)

Senior Dog
    The dogs just love these kind of events . After a day at one of these everyone is ready for a rest. Great pictures of the dogs. They are nice looking boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
    The dogs just love these kind of events . After a day at one of these everyone is ready for a rest. Great pictures of the dogs. They are nice looking boys.
    Anna,
    TRAD and REV slept like babies on Saturday night but were back out running marks and blinds during training on Sunday.

Mikey
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Senior Dog
    I only wish I had their stamina. After working with the pups yesterday it took until noon for all the kinks and aches to smooth out so I could take M out. Meanwhiloe she is literally bouncing off the walls. Some buddies were out training their pointers with chukar.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (04-03-2017)

I believe towershoot days are better than christmas to a labrador!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (04-05-2017), JackK (04-06-2017), TuMicks (04-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by piccadilly View Post

Right ye be Mate. Grand photo's.👍

Mikey☘️
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Great pics. I one day would like to see what these things are all about. I have ridden by the preserve on my eastern ct rides.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by silverfz View Post
    Great pics. I one day would like to see what these things are all about. I have ridden by the preserve on my eastern ct rides.

Where are you in MA?
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Attleboro .

Quote Originally Posted by piccadilly View Post

Those are some great shots !

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos