Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations for raw complete dog food

I had posted a thread last week about finding a food that would work with all of Lola's allergies. I wont list all of the allergies that she has, but there are few commercial foods that would fit the bill.

Does anyone have any experience with Sojo's, Zeal, or ZiwiPeak? ZiwiPeak has several foods that offer a variety of proteins with sufficient fat and protein.

We don't mind doing some cooking, but we need options if we go away and someone else is taking care of Lola.

I want to say Betty fed Ziwipeak, but I'm not sure. Maybe she'll chime in.

Nancy

ZiwiPeak is a great food!

House Broken
    We did Sojos for a while with plenty of cooked meat added. It's great in theory, but Indy had lots of loose stools on it. Same with Honest Kitchen.

I've bought a big bag of venison ziwipeak for training treats. Indy LOVED it and could eat handfuls at a time with no ill effects.

House Broken
    Double post!

What about just going for the prey model? It consists of meat, bone and organs. Mixes still have ingredients in them that might not sit well with a dog with problems. Meat that you obtain and feed will not have any additives.

I second prey model raw. Gives you the most control over what your dog is eating...and much cheaper than feeding any of the above mentioned formulas full time. When I have to leave and have someone else feed the dogs (usually just my husband), I just measure out and bag up each meal, and label. Then all he has to do is dump it in a bowl. Here is a link to get started:

How to get started feeding a Prey Model Raw Diet - Raw Chat - PMR Articles - articles - Prey Model Raw

I fed Ziwipeak for several months right before switching to raw. I had very good results -- with the exception of having trouble keeping weight on. I got one bad bad that resulted in bad stool, an the company was very good about replacing it for me.

And to state the obvious: If you go the Ziwipeak route, be prepared to get a second job or cash out your 401(k).

I don't think I would go the HK or Sojos route, especially long term. I think to get the real benefit of it you have to feed your own meat source anyway so it's not worth it in my opinion. I would do something like Primal freeze dried before doing either of those. Of course I like the pre packaged raw, but I know what you mean about needing something while you are away or on vacation. You might be surprised at how many places are willing to feed raw without any trouble. I have only ever used Ziwipeak for training treats but it has gone over well. It has the meat so of the three you have mentioned that would be my top pick. But I agree with the others that PMR will probably be your best bet for an allergy dog. Remember that many dogs who are allergic to a protein in kibble are not allergic to it in its raw state. I think your closest co op is San Fran Raw, you could check them out online and sign up for their price list e mail to see if it is something you'd be interested in.
    Charlie and Burton

I don't have experience with HK, Sojo's or ZiwiPeak, but one of my Labs is on a raw diet (Bravo Blend) and is doing very, very well. It is pre-made and has a balance of meat, organ, bone and vegetable. Not sure what kind of allergies your Lab has, but it comes in a few different formulas (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef....and I feel like there is one more I'm forgetting) and is super easy to portion and feed. Only downside is when we go away! I'm slowly transitioning my other two over as well, and once I feel comfortable and have more raw experience I plan to make everything at home. (Well, make in the sense that I won't be feeding pre-packaged....I'll mix meat, organ, bone and veggies on my own.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbalover For This Useful Post:

bearbuddymarie (09-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos