Neighbor story. Dirt's dirt.

I've posted a lot of neighbor stories over the years. They're just weird. I don't understand them at all. Just want to complain about everything.

Three years ago I bought a lot of bagged top soil, put it behind our house, used what I needed and have been offering the leftovers for restoring the grassy easement areas in front of our neighbors' properties after the winter snow plow damage. Then I put down grass seed that we've had in our basement for a while. It's not a slam dunk but the fact of the matter is that this is town property, the town isn't going to maintain it and I've always thought that I was doing people a favor.

One of our neighbors approached me yesterday and I told him that I would be putting down the dirt and he said, "Isn't that old dirt? It's been there for a while."

It took me a minute but the best thing I could come up with was, "Dirt's dirt."

Really? How do you get snotty about dirt?

Really, what else can you say? Dirt's dirt!

I guess he'll have to buy his own designer dirt, then.

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    I guess he'll have to buy his own designer dirt, then.
    You mean NEW designer dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked this up because at a gardening seminar we learned where to dig when the town offers free topsoil from the garden waste they've collected and mulched. Apparently the good microbes and other organisms only live in about the top foot of a pile of soil. So maybe bagged soil can go bad or expire? Yup, it can, especially if it got wet inside. There might be a sour smell if the microbes in it died off, drowned I guess. The good bacteria etc, might just be dead. I didn't find anything to say they were bad for the garden but it might not be much more than just mostly dead mulch. From your neighbour stories over the years I doubt they know this.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I looked this up because at a gardening seminar we learned where to dig when the town offers free topsoil from the garden waste they've collected and mulched. Apparently the good microbes and other organisms only live in about the top foot of a pile of soil. So maybe bagged soil can go bad or expire? Yup, it can, especially if it got wet inside. There might be a sour smell if the microbes in it died off, drowned I guess. The good bacteria etc, might just be dead. I didn't find anything to say they were bad for the garden but it might not be much more than just mostly dead mulch. From your neighbour stories over the years I doubt they know this.
    Very true. I'm just using it as a layer though to keep the EZ Seed away from the tremendous amount of sand and salt that has built up over the years. EZ Seed comes with its own growing medium (I don't even know what it is) that allows it to grow on concrete. The area has to be reseeded every year. The plows just strip it then dump more sand and salt over top. The part around my mailbox is so bad that I'm putting down mulch this year. I'm just done with trying.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos