Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AKC Registration

This might be a stupid post, but...

When we picked Chutes up from the breeder, we got an AKC registration form with him. My husband sees it as a waste of money to even do it. We don't plan on breeding or showing him. He's just going to be a family/recreational dog. But after looking into benefits of doing it (I didn't realize that the AKC was non-profit and the fees are basically donations for various programs), I kind of want to for that reason... and also, it's kind of cool? Why not?

I'm not familiar with how names work though. Should we just register him as Deschutes Farmer? Haha. Can anyone give me any insight on this or maybe have any suggestions for us?

Ignorant fancy puppy mama here. Lol!

AKC Registration

Our breeder required it. It was only $35 so no big deal. The name had to be "breeder name" followed by your choice. For example: my breeder's litter theme was stars. So Archie's name is "Pennylane Shooting for the Stars". His call name is Archie. The AKC name must be unique. With the registration we got a free month of pet insurance and a voucher for a vet visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
    Our breeder required it. It was only $35 so no big deal. The name had to be "breeder name" followed by your choice. For example: my breeder's litter theme was stars. So Archie's name is "Pennylane Shooting for the Stars". His call name is Archie. The AKC name must be unique. With the registration we got a free month of pet insurance and a voucher for a vet visit.
    Thank you. Our breeder doesn't seem to require it, they made it seem optional. I noticed there was a box on the form about using the kennel name and it had a space for a sign off. Would that be the breeder name? Does it need to be OK'd to use it? I've heard of breeder's having a litter theme. My boss' Boston Terrier's litter had a candy theme. Our breeder didn't have that either, but we did choose his name from keeping the dam and sire's name in mind...

The AKC just a registry, kinda like a social security number for humans. It makes the dog eligible for certain things like shows (so you can spend more money! ha!) or registration of their offspring (if it's not a limited registration). I think that the registration can be useful for other things, like tracking offspring and probably some things I don't know about. I'd be wary of a breeder who made registration optional.

You might someday want to get a Canine Good Citizen certificate or something similar, or maybe your Puppy STAR (not sure if they have to be registered, but it's an AKC program so you might), and who knows, you might want to do something like Rally or nosework someday. I'm assuming you'll take your puppy to puppy class and obedience school, and those can both be a slippery slope to doing more. If you lose the papers, you could still register your dog, but you would have to go through the process of taking and printing photos, etc. to get a Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) registration, so I'd go ahead and get the registration now before you misplace papers or something. It would just be easier. I'm not sure what AKC does with their money, but I do know they get a lot of it! Reach out to your breeder first and see if they have any limitations on name. If not, you can name your dog pretty much whatever you want as long as it's not already taken. There is a name checker on the AKC website to check. My sister had a dog that was from a breeder that didn't care about names. They called him Duncan and his registered name was "Just Duncan".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-11-2017)

The breeder would need to sign off on using the Kennel name. The theme names come from the breeder. Some breeders go ahead and register the pups. My Breeder didn't require this.

The reason for using Kennel names helps to make a name unique. Names you register must be completely unique. So for example you probably wouldn't be able to register him as just Chutes and something like Chutes and Ladders is already used as well. So if you have your breeders permission you could probably get 'Kennel Name" Chutes.

So like my boy I call him Hemi. That's his name, however his fully qualified AKC name is "Jeffs Hemi Cuda" Which is actually what he is named after. If you ever do any AKC events it is pretty cool because they will call them by the full name. Everytime we run agility, out comes Jeffs Hemi Cuda to run the race.

Which if you were wondering and not a car person.

This is a Hemi Cuda

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    They called him Duncan and his registered name was "Just Duncan".
    That's cute! Just Duncan. Simple. I like it.

I had thought the kennel name had something to do with that... I'm not too fussed about using the breeder's name or getting too fancy. As I said, we don't plan on doing anything official with him. No breeding, showing or competing. He's just going to be a loved family dog that my husband does some fun training with, like shed hunting and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    "Jeffs Hemi Cuda"
    I like this. I had thought about doing something similar like "Farmer's Deschutes..." something. (Our last name is Farmer.) Instead of using the breeder name.

Kind of trying to think of a play on words with regards to Deschutes Brewery/beer related or Deschutes River related. Something pacific northwesterny... Idk...

I would do Farmer's Deschutes. Since you have no obligation to your breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by jenfarm View Post

Kind of trying to think of a play on words with regards to Deschutes Brewery/beer related or Deschutes River related. Something pacific northwesterny... Idk...
    I'm from NY but went on a trip to Portland and visited the Deschutes brew pub, it was awesome! As a fan of craft beer, I would personally make his registered name Deschutes followed by one of their beers that you like, e.g. "Deschutes Hop Slice" or "Deschutes Pacific Wonderland." Or something more generic like "Farmer's Deschutes Craft Brew."

| Finnian - October 30th 2007 | Beamish November 23rd 2012 |
    RIP Murphy December 17th 2001 - October 23rd 2011 <3

When you register a purebred dog with AKC, the monies go toward research, search and rescue, canine legislation, etc... So you should support AKC, and the purebred dog fancy, even if your breeder didn't require it, since you bought a puppy that is eligible for AKC registration.

Some breeders require you to use their kennel name, some don't, but, only if the kennel name is Registered with the AKC (so no one else can use it, mine is registered btw) you do need permission to use it, by the breeder signing the box that allows it, otherwise they may require you use it, but you do not need permission. I have a good friend who bred under her kennel name for 30+ years and someone else started using it, and there was nothing she could do about it, because her kennel name wasn't registered with AKC. She changed her name, after all those years.

Most breeders I know require the use of the kennel name as a prefix like "*Kennel Name* Deschutes Farmer", but if your breeder didn't, then just "Deschutes Farmer" is fine, or one of the brewery names suggested above. If someone in the past named their dog that, AKC may reject it, or give you the name "Deschutes Farmer II". If you have any questions about using the kennel name, you can ask your breeder. :-) Also, if you lose your papers, you can request the breeder order another one for you, but they will probably charge you, and the longer you wait to register your puppy, the more expensive it gets with late penalties.

I have seen a trend towards the breeder paying for the AKC registration fees, and microchip registration through AKC's Reunite program, and building that into the price of the puppy. This way the breeder knows the puppy got registered, registered correctly (Full vs Limited reg, kennel name, etc...) and that the microchip is in the database right away, it is worth the peace of mind. I have seen breeders upset because the chip was never registered anywhere, 6 months or years down the road, and the puppy/dog is lost. You all know how busy of a time it is to bring a new puppy home, that paperwork is the last thing on your mind! :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by FinnBeam View Post
    I'm from NY but went on a trip to Portland and visited the Deschutes brew pub, it was awesome! As a fan of craft beer, I would personally make his registered name Deschutes followed by one of their beers that you like, e.g. "Deschutes Hop Slice" or "Deschutes Pacific Wonderland." Or something more generic like "Farmer's Deschutes Craft Brew."
    I love your suggestions! We were thinking of using Farmer's Deschutes Black Butte (Josh's favorite brew), but since he's not a black lab I'm not sure about it. Until the litter was born, we weren't sure if we were gonna end up with our preferred choice of yellow or if we would end up with a black. If we got a black puppy, we would have used this for sure. Would it be weird to still use that with him being a reddish yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    When you register a purebred dog with AKC, the monies go toward research, search and rescue, canine legislation, etc... So you should support AKC, and the purebred dog fancy, even if your breeder didn't require it, since you bought a puppy that is eligible for AKC registration.
    Yeah! This is my main reason for wanting to register, even if there is no other reason. Always happy to support.

The breeder we bought from isn't a large kennel. They basically are just a hobby breeder. They love their dogs and they love the breed. They do some training for bird hunting and what not, but I don't think they do any competitions. So, their requirements for registering or naming aren't really the same or there so we have all the freedom when it comes to that.
    Last edited by jenfarm; 05-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos