Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teaching 'hike it' (or go away?)

I was just cleaning up the kitchen and needed to get into a cupboard that Thor was laying down next to. I instinctively said "hike it" and he looked at me all, "whaaa?" It's a command that my dad taught all the dogs I had growing up, and it just came surging back into my consciousness today. I can't believe I didn't think of it until today.

I am not sure what the generic term is for this command, so I'm having trouble finding a good source of training advice on this one. Thor has done great with training and this is one I want to introduce now.

It's basically the 'move out of the way for a second' command. It's not as strong as 'go to bed' (his lay down/relax/get out of the way in a specific spot). This is the one to use if he's temporarily underfoot, or blocking a door, or if it's hot and you want him off your feet, stop the begging, etc. It was always the go-to command in my house for "leave me alone". The idea is that the dog stops whatever he is doing, but he's not restricted to another behavior when he stops (like he is with go to bed). He can go play with a toy, bother someone else, lay in a different corner, etc, he just has to stop whatever he is doing when I say "hike it".

Does anyone else have a command like that? Did you do any specific training or did your pup just get it after a while? Tonight I just kind of nudged him out of the way when saying "hike it" and gave him a treat with a "good hike it", but it's such a generic command I wonder if there is anything else I can do.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

I tell my dogs to "scoot" as in "scoot over" or to "hop up" as in get up for a minute. Funny thing is, I don't really train to do it specifically. I just gently tap them with my foot and say it repeatedly until they get up and move, then I praise. I suppose you could always lure them with a treat to get up while using your command, then praise and treat.

Mine learned "move over", "back up" or "up for a second" if they are in my way. They know they just have to give me some room but can stay and even go back to their original position when I do what needs to be done. If they need to stop something that is getting on my nerves and doesn't require going to their "place" or "to bed", I tell them to "go to dad", lol! I taught them just like any other command, it didn't take much time.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

MightyThor (06-24-2014)

My word is TRACK, from cross country skiing. Usually given by a fast skiier who is about to overtake a slower one and meaning to get out of the track and let the faster one through. With the dogs I just walk into them, gently when they are puppies, and say this as I bunt them out of the way. It just means get out of my way and I don't care how they manage that.

For agility with Jet and working Rally with Oban I used WAY and GO OUT (which came out sounding like GOUT) to tell them to move away from me and my arm/hand would indicate where they should go. Both these started from me pushing them away but then when I indicated a jump or place I wanted them to go to they both picked it up very easily.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

MightyThor (06-24-2014)

I'm guessing with consistency he'll get it. I was just surprised I hadn't even thought of it until now. I asked my dad about how he taught 'hike it' this morning and he said, "I dunno, they just knew". Thanks, dad. He has cats now.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

My mom used "beep beep" with her dog. It was funny her telling a 130 pound malamute to "beep beep". She just said it and gave a foot nudge and he eventually learned what it meant.

Mardi has her favorite spot in the kitchen, on the rug in front of the sink. She's learned when I ask her to move, I need that space, she gets up and move. It just took consistency. Any word you want to use, just be consistent.

"slide over" is mine lol and they just learned by my gentle nudge it means to move over. I just thought it sounded nicer than "move" lol

Daisy used to lay in front of the refrigerator door as a pup. As I opened it I always said "move" and she eventually learned that move meant get out of the way.

I've always used "move it". They all seemed to figure it out pretty quick.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos