Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lifting leg on EVERYTHING

Our dog Blue was 2 in march. After being 100 % house trained for a long time, he is now lifting his leg on EVERYTHING. Anything new that comes into our home. And things he has already lifted on. Today it was right in front of my face on the sofa. He had just been outside less than 15 minutes ago. Brought bags of clothes home from my oldest daughters house. He marked him. Brought a mattress downstairs....Marked it. We have two cats. An older spayed female and a young male...neutered.

I like a clean house and I am feeling like he is peeing on everything and it is all I smell. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

My immediate thought is that he smells his own pee and is stimulated. You're definitely going to have to clean everything thoroughly after he marks. Is Blue crate trained so that he can be confined while you clean? If it was me, I would crate him after he marks, clean with something like Nature's Miracle and then let him out and keep doing that patiently until he gets the point.

Do you plan on neutering him? I have heard that the behavior can go away with neutering, as long as it's not an established habit.

If it were my dog and he did that in the house, I think I would yell at the tippy top of my lungs, "NO -- OUTSIDE! OUTSIDE!" and put him out. Startle the bejesus out of that dog! I would also be working on NILIF because to me a dog peeing on things in the house says, "This is mine. I am top dog around here!". So, NILIF and up the training and exercise. Establish your leadership, be firm, and remind him who's house it is.

My one boy who is a leg lifter when off of my property is not allowed to leg-lift while on leash nor is he allowed to sniff while on leash, as that inevitably ends up in a leg lift. When walking, about every 10 mins I guess, I give them the chance to go potty. They get to sniff and potty and then they are done in a minute or so. I allow it when they are being good, not pulling, etc. and it looks like my idea, not theirs. Mine know to potty on command and I prefer a long pee rather than fifty short pees (annoying).
    Last edited by Labradorks; 06-24-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Usually neutering will not affect this behavior, at least not in my experience. Plenty of people have intact males that never lift their leg let alone mark inappropriately. It is a training/behavior issue. It is imperative that all areas marked on be thoroughly cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, like Natures Miracle, to remove all odor. Training is definitely in order and I completely agree with NILF and crating when you are not able to supervise. You can also tether him to you so you can immediately correct, if necessary. This will take some work, it sounds like an established behavior, but you should be able to correct it with thorough cleaning, supervision and training. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Maxx&Emma; 06-24-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: to correct spelling.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I suppose neutering could help some dogs, it worked with a male pom I had years ago but ive also seen neutered males mark as well. My brother has an older neutered male who marks everytime he comes to my house

Its a behavioral thing, I dont have males so I cant offer much advice other than tethering him to you and correcting him immediately.

If possible, catching him just as he is getting ready to mark something will be your best time to let him know that marking will not be tolerated and is unacceptable. You will have to constantly watch him and wait for him to try to mark and then give a strong, stern, vocal or leash correction as soon as he shows interest that he is going to get in position to mark. if you can't always watch him to see where and what he's doing, you may have to crate him when you can't keep an eye on him, or put him on a lead and drag him around the house with you as you do your daily routine. It may be a pain in the neck for a few days having to do this, but if you crack down on him to remind him that marking will not be tolerated, a couple of good corrections when he shows intense interest and the behaviour that he'wants to mark something, should let him know it's a no-no.

My theory is you have to train the boys twice. First on horizontal surfaces; grass yes, carpet no. Then when they start leg lifting you have to do it all over again; trees yes, furniture no. Helps you reconcile, in your mind, and it's basically what you have to do anyway. But that outside corner on the counter at the Vet's where several other dogs pee'd just before your visit? You always have to watch them in places like that. Heck, at my Vet's the girls pee there too, but on the floor.

The only thing I am sure of with the neutering is it's no guarantee. Stops some, not others. If you don't train and simply sit and wait for neutering to perform magic you might be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    My theory is you have to train the boys twice. First on horizontal surfaces; grass yes, carpet no. Then when they start leg lifting you have to do it all over again; trees yes, furniture no. Helps you reconcile, in your mind, and it's basically what you have to do anyway. But that outside corner on the counter at the Vet's where several other dogs pee'd just before your visit? You always have to watch them in places like that. Heck, at my Vet's the girls pee there too, but on the floor.
    Come to think of it, my little male Cairn caught me totally off guard when he lifted his leg on the corner of the counter at the Groomers shop. The Groomer down-played it, saying "no big deal, alot of the boys do it". Well, it's not o.k. with me, so after a stern correction and swiftly rushing him out the door to remind him where he is allowed to mark, he's not done it since, thank goodness!

Neutering helped Jack stop marking in the house. I don't know if it's an overall fix for all dogs, but I would suggest doing it. The rest of it's re-training. Crated when you can't supervise and tethered to you. My boys are all adults (2 are 6 and 1 is 3) and they are crated when I am not home.

I heard that neutering can help curb this. But you have to do some training too, since he is in a bad habit now. I have a male but he never marked. Good luck!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos