Thread: TTA Recovery

TTA Recovery

On May 2 I let Stella out to bark at some deer that she saw beyond our fence. After her usual bark-sprint to the fence line, she suddenly fell, unable to get up. A few days later we found ourselves in surgery for a complete CCL and meniscus tear. We chose TTA with titanium plating for least risk of infection/rejection and have currently survived three weeks, although it feels like 3 months...minimum. It could also be the sleep deprivation talking, because my husband and I cannot sleep in our house without her, so the three of us are currently camping out on a mattress on the floor. I am looking for any advice on TTA recovery as this has been extremely difficult thing we have done with Stella- and with an Addisonian who has had two eye surgeries, I'd say we're pretty seasoned owners. With every turn, bounce or wiggle of excitement Stella exhibits, we cringe, afraid she will injure herself. No, she is not supposed to be bouncing but at eating time (we have to cut her food by half and she is starving) and when we get her out of the crate to sit with her in our penned in living room, she tends to get overly excited. Most importantly, we are faced with a potential need to board her shortly after week 8 (right after her X-rays and at the time frame of when bone healing occurs).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_7078-jpg  

Oh wow, this is too weird. I too am from upstate NY and our Stella is about to be week 8 next Tuesday when we visit our vet. So.....we are gated in the living but crated in the bedroom at night where she has always slept in a crate and her bud Anthony has a crate next to hers.

We have a pretty good routine in that we have a ramp out of the house, she hangs in the living room with us in a gated area with a dog bed, toys etc.

Regarding the excitement, acepromazine is your friend. I know a lot of people are concerned about drugs but in the case of this surgery, it is important to keep them calm, at supper time, when people come in the house etc. Stella responds well to a half of a tab when the prescribed dose is 1 to tabs every 8 hours. I would rather have her a bit sedated for this recovery than to risk an injury. She goes nuts when we someone comes to the door (we ask people to text us), we're out in the country so don't get a lot of visitors.

We did not cut her food in half, she in fact didn't eat much in the beginning, we knocked off a quarter of a cup and you can always add green beans etc.

There is an amazing group on Facebook TPLO for Canines that welcomes everything from conservative management, TPLO and TTA.

And to make you feel much better :-), our Stella had both knees blown and they were repaired at the same time. Our biggest issue is the companion dog who is also 3yo and their constant play, which does not happen any more and I think it will be beyond 8 weeks before that resumes.

Where are you from in Upstate and where did you have the TTA done?

Thank you for your response! I'll be thinking of your Stella and Tuesday! (What is it with these Stellas? I guess they live up to their name Steeeeellllllaaaaaa.) Please let me know how it goes and what they say. Week 8 cannot come soon enough. I will definitely try implementing the acepromazine. I wonder why our doctor did not initially prescribe it, it was only after we inquired about being nervous once she was feeling better. Maybe it is because our Stella is the only dog. We haven't had anyone over yet and probably won't but I'm wondering if it'll just make taking her out easier. We are near Lake George and had her surgery done in Parksville, NY which is somewhat near Albany/Rotterdam. Two of our friends' labs had their TTA surgery done there and honestly, a big factor for us was that they were the ones to get us there the fastest. We knew that if we did surgery it would have to be before my husband left for a week for work which was 10 days after she had the surgery. Plus it was pitiful watching her in pain hopping around prior to the surgery.

TTA Recovery

Is this where you went?
    Veterinary Specialties Referral Center LLC :: The VSRC Team

I hope you get something to calm her down. I grew up in Cambridge and my sister lives in South Glen's Falls, know the lake george area well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Sorry, Pattersonville, I blame the lack of sleep. Did you go there as well? We actually got our Stella from a breeder in Eagle Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by MyStellaDog View Post
    Yes! Sorry, Pattersonville, I blame the lack of sleep. Did you go there as well? We actually got our Stella from a breeder in Eagle Bridge.
    Yes we did! To Dr Glennon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Us too!

So we're back from our 8 week check up and x-rays. He said she's the poster child for bilateral TTAs! We are on supervised, but back to normal indoor activities but have to monitor interaction with Anthony our chocolate. We can now use the steps (2) in the breezeway into the mudroom and not the ramp we had placed there. She is to up her walking 1/4 mi twice a day on leash outside working up to a mile twice a day over the next 4 weeks. Still on a short leash. We are to call him in a month to update him on her progress. Basically no racing to the door or any WWE wrestling with Anthony. She can get up on the couch, in the car and on the bed with a boost of help.

If you still are thinking of boarding I would have the conversation directly with him. He said there is probably 12%-16% left to heal in terms of the bone around the hardware. If you have a very good kennel, I would walk them through it and see if they are willing to do that degree of monitoring.

Send me a PM if you want to talk 'live'

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos