Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shots

House Broken

Shots

My vet just recently went to giving the distemper shot every three years, instead of every year. They have separated the lipo(sp?) and will give it individually every year. Does this sound reasonable? However, when I made Loki's appt., I mentioned that since he had the distemper shot last year, he shouldn't need it this year and the receptionist said no that they will start this year with the shot and THEN give it every three years from then. Does that make sense to anyone, because it doesn't to me? Loki is ten years old and I am unsure whether he needs anymore vaccinations at all, excluding heartworm. What is the common thought here on vaccinations?

It does not make sense to me. At 10 I would not be giving anything but maybe rabies every 3 years and that is kinda iffy with me. I definitely would not give Lepto at this age. You could titer to check levels but I would not give mine shots just because the vet says so. It is important that you do some research so you feel comfortable with your decision. The above is my opinion and I feel good about my decision.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

We have had seniors for years now. The only thing I let the vet give is rabies because it is law; get the three year vac. Mardi is now due for her semiannual checkup and although the vet's office has her listed as needing other vacs, the only thing that will be done is a heartworm test (her 3 years rabies is still good).

Rabies and HW prevention is probably all the dog needs. There is no difference between a 1 year and a 3 year shot. The shot the dog got last year for distemper should be fine for 2 more years.

Google Dr. Jean Dodd's vaccine protocol, that is what I follow. After they get booster shots at one year old, all they get after that is rabies every three years as required by law.

The Distemper shot from most N. American drug companies has been warranted by them for 3 years for more than 3 years. Lt's see, Oban is 6, so for at least 5 years. So you should be covered. Maybe this one is odd one out but you only have to google up the manufacturer to check. And that's only if you want the warranty.

Personally this year I titred for Distemper, Parvo and Hepatitis and even though the counts came out too low to be accepted some places I don't use those places (DDC, boarding etc) so I haven't boostered since his one year shots. I emailed Dr. Dodds who helped me with this decision, she's amazing.

House Broken
    OK, I had to call and reschedule Loki's appointment, so spoke with the office staff and they again made me aware that Loki will need his the distemper shot this year and THEN every three years. I asked why and she said because last year's cocktail was a one year. I asked what difference it makes, are you going to give him MORE this year to last three years? She floundered a bit at this and finally said "no, it's a just a different serum completely." Does this make ANY SENSE AT ALL?? I don't believe it and I am becoming really agitated about this situation. We have a lot of faith and respect for our vet, but I think they are just trying to recoup the money they are going to lose on these shots. Do we have vet med people on this board that could tell me if there is any truth to what she is saying?

I stopped giving all vaccines to my first lab Kellsie when she was ten. She had a life threatening reaction to the Lyme shot, so I only gave her rabies after that incident. She lived until 13 years of age with no issues. My vet didn't even want to give her a rabies shot and was willing to write a letter to the town explaining Kellsie's health issues. I know you are not questioning rabies but my vet said sometimes a letter helps depending on the town. However she passed before we needed to do this.

I have never heard of a 3 year distemper. I am not saying that is cannot be true or cannot be happening, I would love to see that since I am very nervous about vaccines especially after what happened to Kellsie. But I know when I have asked my vet what the difference between the 1 year and 3 year rabies vaccination is, they said nothing. The rabies shot is good for 3 years, but when dogs are pups they like them to have the vaccine a couple of times before moving to the 3 year vaccine.

Good luck.

House Broken
    There is no difference in the actual vaccine serum, 3yr. or 1yr. The amount injected and the concentration is identical.

No, it makes no sense. By pass the receptionist, and ask for the vet to give you a call back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-26-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos