No puppy for me this year!

I found the perfect breeding and although I should wait for a new puppy (it's never the right time, right?), I knew I could make it work and everything would turn out just fine.

The breeding was supposed to happen in December and it didn't. Well, it recently happened and I just got the email. The bad news is there is a new baby daddy and while I'm sure he is a great dog (he is a National Derby Champion at two, amateur trained and handled, and a bunch of other things), he is a field Lab through and through and is not for me. I'm looking for a moderately bred, dual champion type of dog. It's also the good news as I think I need to focus on getting us through trialing next year at least and keep chipping away at the senior hunting training and FINISH THIS HOUSE! Everything happens for a reason, I suppose...

I do have a Golden breeder I'm looking at, too, if I cannot find what I am looking for with Labs, but I continue to be nervous about cancer and the fact that, geeze, Goldens can really have some odd behavior issues, even the well bred ones.

aww (but hmmm...) - but it sounds like it was a sign this wasn't the time for a puppy!

What behaviour issues in goldens?

Aw gee. People down the street were to get a puppy, GR, this spring. The first breeding didn't take. The other dog only had three pups. Now they are waiting for pups to be born this June so hope to have one in August. I suspect this is a backyard breeder as "she doesn't register them." But still, hope they get a healthy dog, the last one was horrific, a rescue. Yes, what did you find for behavioural issues?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

The right time, and more importantly, the right pup will come along.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Waiting for what you really want just makes it that much sweeter when the right pup is yours. Anyway, it will give you time to finish your house so when the pup comes thru the front down all your time and effort can go to him/her.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Blackboy98 View Post
    Anyway, it will give you time to finish your house so when the pup comes thru the front down all your time and effort can go to him/her.
    This is my problem! I've been working on the house since Linus came along and INSTEAD of working on the house, I spend all my time and effort on him. Not that I am complaining, but I SHOULD take advantage of the fact that I have two adult dogs who are happy, content and safe with a bone while I work on the house and yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    What behaviour issues in goldens?
    It's a broad statement for sure, but I'm just not seeing the relative stability that I see in Labs. I'm also seeing a larger amount of anxiety and some issues you'd find in, say, Border Collies. Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice Goldens out there for sure and I still haven't decided which way I'll go. Stability and health seem more solid in the Labs, overall.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 06-06-2017 at 05:01 PM.

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    The bad news is there is a new baby daddy and while I'm sure he is a great dog (he is a National Derby Champion at two, amateur trained and handled, and a bunch of other things), he is a field Lab through and through and is not for me.
    Hopefully you mean the dog was the high point derby dog and under two The derby can only be played by dogs under two years old But I totally get it, if that's not the kind of dog you are looking for, surely you'll find the right one when its time.

Good luck. I'm window shopping all the time and have found so many tempting litters. Someday!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos