CONSULTATION WITH SURGEON. Osteocondritis ( flap of cartilage on hock )

We have our consultation with the surgeon for Sunny's hock issue on Thursday. (Its a flap of cartilage that needs to be removed). I believe it will be arthroscopic so it's not a huge recovery time. I am hoping for the best. I was given an estimate of $5000.00. That's a lot of money for me but I do notice that Sunny has been very quiet lately, she is not super playful & will lie down or sit down more often at the park. I palpate the area but she never winces or shows pain, but she will limps a few hours after play or a long walk ( we have reduced her long walks)
    I'm hoping for an alternate but I am not that hopeful. Its hard getting much information on the success of this kind of surgery.
    I just want her playing hard & living a great dog life. She is the sweetest girl. I adore her.
    -cozy-pup-jpg

most vet surgeons have gone to school a very, very longtime and are very commited who dont make a lot of money. ask how many surgeries they have done of this type and success rate? could even ask last time they had an eye exam if they are old. my vet surgeon friend has done some amazing surgeries with success to include heart surgeries. i would go in being positive.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Our Zo had to have a bone chip removed and a bone spur shaved down when she was less than a year old. They did arthroscopic surgery on her as well. It went very well. I just don't know if there's a comparison to what you're describing.

this is the first response I have gotten since I have posted stuff about Osteochondritis on this board. It sounds very similar to what your dog had. I'm glad to know it went well for your Zo. She is a cutie.

Hoping that if you do go the surgery route that it accomplishes complete recovery.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Alix B View Post
    this is the first response I have gotten since I have posted stuff about Osteochondritis on this board. It sounds very similar to what your dog had. I'm glad to know it went well for your Zo. She is a cutie.
    Oh good. I read your first post but wasn't familiar with that term. Zo's diagnosis was actually elbow dysplasia and the surgery was on both elbows because they weren't sure what the issues actually were. They couldn't tell on the x-rays but she clearly had an issue so we just went for it. It took about two months of restricted activity for her to recover. She was in quite a bit of pain periodically because the bone chip was just kind of floating around in there.

All good thoughts.

thanks for your post. Yes, I do worry about her being in pain. Every time she wants to run, play, chase a ball I wonder how much it hurts. She does not show pain until after she has rested for a while. Then she gets up & limps/hops for several step, then back to normal. Swimming does not cause her to limp at all so I try to go often, but not often enough. We do live very close to the beach but sometimes we just don't get there. I think she needs her own swimming pool

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos