Home security cameras.

Has anyone installed any in their home? Is it easy to do it yourself? Any input or advice?

My nephew and his wife have rented our downstairs apartment. Today she ran into a neighbor who told her that one of the daughters that live upstairs is always tapping on our nephew's apartment window to rile their dog. If that's true, it's bad enough, because I can't stand people that tease animals, but Duke currently has a cast on his back leg. So getting overly excited is bad for him. Barney and I are considering some home security cameras as a way to see what is going on and to have proof of what is going on. The quicker we could get them installed the better, although cost is a big factor for Barney. Any information on these would be greatly appreciated.

System prices vary widely, but for what it seems you are asking for, not too expensive. We recently installed a system at our business. For one wireless camera and a recording unit I think it was under $300. We ended up needing a friend help us set up the system, so it depends on how handy you are if there would be an extra cost there. We just ordered online from Lorex and are very happy with the system.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monsterpup For This Useful Post:

Daisy and Miia (06-24-2014)

Just make sure that whatever is in the camera can be clearly seen. If not, you don't have a case.

Have you spoken with the people upstairs about their daughter?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Just make sure that whatever is in the camera can be clearly seen. If not, you don't have a case.

Have you spoken with the people upstairs about their daughter?
    Barney just talked to the mother the other day, because the kids were seen going into our shed to smoke pot. We were letting them use the shed for their bikes, but now we're going to have to put a lock on the shed. I know the line of sight for the cameras will be important, so we'll have to make sure that we get a decent enough system for that, and make sure we set them up right. Barney is very handy, so I don't think we'll have to much of a problem installing it.

most bad stuff happens when the lights go out. so having a camera that produces decent images at night would be something I would want to see before buying.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

8. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    most bad stuff happens when the lights go out. so having a camera that produces decent images at night would be something I would want to see before buying.
    That's true. But the mother is usually home at night and the girl is doing these things during the day when everyone is at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Miia View Post
    Barney just talked to the mother the other day, because the kids were seen going into our shed to smoke pot. We were letting them use the shed for their bikes, but now we're going to have to put a lock on the shed. I know the line of sight for the cameras will be important, so we'll have to make sure that we get a decent enough system for that, and make sure we set them up right. Barney is very handy, so I don't think we'll have to much of a problem installing it.
    You need to look at pixels for a clear picture of the person. And housing/casing as you can get some serious fog with humidity. If they are smoking weed on your property, assuming it is illegal in your state, can't you evict them? That might get rid of several problems. If you want to go there, that is... CostCo has reasonably priced camera systems, by the way.

There are also motion activated sprinklers that people use for cats and raccoons. Might also work on teenaged girls.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    Bob installed two on our garage (bought from Amazon)...no problems installing but they interfere with our garage door opener....we've had to work around that but it's not too much of an issue since we wanted them mostly for overnight.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

I have this cheap setup at home I installed a few months ago. Very good image quality even during night time hours. It doesn't come with a hard drive, so you have to order one separately. You can either use an external USB hard drive or a bare SATA drive and install it inside the DVR unit. I did the latter. Hardest part was running the cabling throughout the house. It has already come in handy proving the mail lady broke our mailbox.

Zmodo KDC8-YARUZ4ZN 8 Channel H.264 Level 960H DVR Security System with 4 x 700TVL Night Vision w - Newegg.com
    Hidden Content
    Charlotte & Levi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to colding For This Useful Post:

We use DLink cameras, but not for security, just to watch Luna and the cat when we're not home. We have the cheapest model, since we don't need clear facial recognition or night vision, but they do have some pretty high tech models. They were super easy to set up, and I have an app for my phone.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Daisy and Miia (06-25-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos