Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken jerkey

Chicken jerkey

They sell chicken jerky treats at costco now--- It says 100% US chicken made in the USA. I don't have a costco membership but my Mom always gets me some dog treats there. Usually the Chummy Yummys but this time she got the chicken jerky. I was wary about it bc of a post I read here but it seems like good stuff. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it?
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Yes we have tried them and of course the crew loves them! We rotate the treats between the jerky and the biscuits. I love the prices for dog treats at costco!

Glad to hear they love them!!

We got some from a friend and it is, at least according to Mel, very tasty! They call it Chicken Jerky Bars here, it seems to be made locally, processed at 167°F/75°C and guaranteed to be safe by the WHO. No matter how jerky the poor sacrificed chickens were, Mel just loves these treats.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

The treats sold at Costco are mentioned as one of the ones to avoid at all costs in a recent article in Dogs Naturally. Honestly, I would avoid all store bought chicken jerky treats at this point. It is very easy to make yourself with or without a dehydrator. Even those that say "made in the USA" do not offer you any safety. The ingredients may still be imported from sources in China, including the chicken. Please trash these treats so you do not end up with a very sick dog, or worse.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Sue (06-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    The treats sold at Costco are mentioned as one of the ones to avoid at all costs in a recent article in Dogs Naturally. Honestly, I would avoid all store bought chicken jerky treats at this point. It is very easy to make yourself with or without a dehydrator. Even those that say "made in the USA" do not offer you any safety. The ingredients may still be imported from sources in China, including the chicken. Please trash these treats so you do not end up with a very sick dog, or worse.
    The bag also specifies that the chicken is US chicken also.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoopsaDaisy View Post
    The bag also specifies that the chicken is US chicken also.
    Most often the chicken is originally from the US, shipped overseas and sent back. It is how they have been getting away with the "made in the USA", etc stickers and claims you will find on packages now. I wouldn't take the chance especially since they don't have to be off store shelves until March, 2015. It is really scary and I would just be afraid to trust any of it unless I make it.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Most often the chicken is originally from the US, shipped overseas and sent back. It is how they have been getting away with the "made in the USA", etc stickers and claims you will find on packages now. I wouldn't take the chance especially since they don't have to be off store shelves until March, 2015. It is really scary and I would just be afraid to trust any of it unless I make it.
    Except these are also made in the US- and I checked the ingredient list it's all natural. I don't see how china could be involved in any way if its USA chickens made in the USA. At least, I hope not because my mom gave some to Daisy last night.

I wouldn't feed them, but if my dad went and got them and gave them to the boys I wouldn't be worried. Honestly, one bag is not likely to cause you problems. Just watch for anything abnormal. I always think it's so cute when parents bring home something special for our pets.

Unless the the jerky is made in my dehydrator, I just won't touch it. Maybe you could ask your mom for some bulk chicken breast to make your own
    Charlie and Burton

Quote Originally Posted by charliebbarkin View Post
    I wouldn't feed them, but if my dad went and got them and gave them to the boys I wouldn't be worried. Honestly, one bag is not likely to cause you problems. Just watch for anything abnormal. I always think it's so cute when parents bring home something special for our pets.

Unless the the jerky is made in my dehydrator, I just won't touch it. Maybe you could ask your mom for some bulk chicken breast to make your own
    Haha, I have NO IDEA how to make my own jerky!! I wish I was good in the kitchen like that. The meals I make for myself are pretty basic as well. My plan is to marry someone who loves to cook :P

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (06-25-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos