Thread: Beach Day

Beach Day

Writing this a few days late.

Because we had such blazingly hot weather last week (it was in the 100s with the highest at 110), I took Sierra to the off leash dog beach (only in the mid 60s!). The beach is her favorite place in the world. She gets excited when I pack her beach backpack and sits and waits by the garage door before I am even ready to take off. The beach is a 1 hour and 45 minute drive in each direction. We'd go there more often if it wasn't so far away. I needed the cooler weather and some downtime myself.

Because she gets overexcited, poops multiple times, and pukes, I just sat in the car for a few minutes when we reached the parking lot. Had to put up with some crying, but I told her to lay down and stay calm. I was happy she wasn't gagging on the drive there like she has done many times in the past. Once she was calm, we got out and walked to the beach. I made her sit for a few minutes again before I unhooked the leash. Then after she's had a few minutes to explore and poop a few times (4 times by this point), I made her sit again and rest before we played fetch in the water with her soccer ball. Happy to say, she did not puke this time. Tried to poop 10 times, but at least she didn't puke.

She made some friends during our time there and even ran up to the owner of a pincher to beg for treats once she saw the treats being pulled out.

Here she is resting for a few minutes.

-sierra-beach-jpg

Then after we got home while we were resting in my office, one of the parrots decided to hang upside-down to taunt her. Sierra took no notice as she was snoring fast asleep right next to my feet.

-nalo-teasing-jpg
    Last edited by kaialeena; 06-28-2017 at 12:38 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaialeena For This Useful Post:

Java (07-05-2017), Mollysmomma (06-28-2017), SamsonsMom (06-28-2017)

That bottom photo, which looks like it might be your new signature photo (?) just shows about the happiest dog in the world at that moment, right there! I'm glad you had so much fun. My dogs have a couple of special beach toys that they recognize- Chase has a child's bath toy shaped like a pirate and Lark loves the orange bumper. If they see those, they are just beside themselves also, but thankfully not to the point of throwing up or pooping repeatedly. Sierra, seriously, you don't want Mama to run out of poop bags, do you? Sounds like you did a good job getting her to calm down each step of the adventure.

Aw! Love the pic in your signature. What a happy baby! <3 That's crazy about the pooping and puking! Sounds like you've got a good idea of trying to give her calm down time outs.
    Josh & Jenna. Texas.
    Parents of: Farmer's Deschutes Cinder Cone Red "Chutes" the Labrador. (And the cat, Stewie. Hidden Content )

Instagram: @jenfarm_ & @farmer_bram

Hidden Content

Perfect day for her, not so much for you picking up poop. For her, well worth the time the trip took. Our local dog beach closed, I'm so pissed.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

How wonderful. Here is a picture of my Samson on the beach. He doesn't like the water so much but he loves to be near the shore break - he runs away from the waves and seems to make a game of it. We go to Outer Banks twice a year. He loves the 12 hour trip there and book too. I love when you can tell they are super happy. Your pup looks adorable.
    -18156938_10208569599065920_4367299809842540071_n-jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SamsonsMom For This Useful Post:

Java (07-05-2017)

I wonder if she'd be more calm if you could get there more often? On the other hand, the reason we no longer walk with one doggy friend is because he's a terror in the car on the way to meet us. He knows which direction we are. Or he did. We no longer meet because his owner would not train him and he was a danger to her baby, who she had to bring with her. It's too bad Sierra gets so wrought up she poops and pukes though, that can't be good. At the very least it's unpleasant for both of you. Do have to agree, the bottom photo sure makes it look worthwhile.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Smartrock: I always keep 2 extra poop bag rolls in her backpack plus a larger plastic bag to put all of it in just for this reason alone. It is frustrating when barely anything comes out and I have to use a bag. Sometimes I don't tie a knot in the bag right away and I wait, but I think she knows because right as I give up thinking she might need to go again, I tie the knot on the bag and I see her squatting right as I am doing this.

SamsonsMom: Interesting, a lab that doesn't like the water! Sierra avoids going deep into the ocean. My brother told me when she was younger (she used to be my brother's dog), a wave knocked her over. Ever since then, she waits for big waves to bring her ball to her. But she will go in up to her tummy.

Snowshoe: Yes, she would be calmer if we went to the beach more often. Sadly, it isn't close enough for me to do that (unless I win the lotto and then I can afford beachside property!). A couple years ago, we took a mini vacation to Carmel By The Sea, a little town near Monterey, CA that is extremely dog friendly. Many outdoor patio restaurants where dogs are allowed (some even have separate dog menus that include things like grass fed tri-tip), off leash dog beach, some stores allow dogs, the majority of the hotels allow dogs, etc. Doris Day owns a hotel there and during our stay at the hotel, I don't think there was a single person staying at the hotel that didn't have their dog with them. Anyway, during our time in the town, we went to the beach every day and it was only the first day that she got over-excited and did her usual poop and puke routine. The other days were not like that at all.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos