Poison oak removal using goats.

First of all, I have no experience with poison oak. I know that the oil is the problem. I know that goats eat it. And I know that I'm trying to clear the edges of my property which is adjacent to the woods around the boarding school and there's a bunch of it in there.

I have the following for this project: a Tyvek suit, Tyvek booties, nitrile gloves, leather leads, goats. And yes, I will take a picture.

Is wading in there and letting them chomp down while on lead going to work or am I just going to wind up in a world of hurt?

I'd think getting out of your outfit and making sure you don't touch your face, the unwashed goats, leashes, collars, etc will be pretty difficult if you're wading in yourself. I'm envisioning an Ebola type decontamination station. Their collars and the leashes will be exposed, the goats will be covered in the oil from the poison oak. Everything you have on would have to be thrown away. I've also read you can't drink their milk (if you do) after they've eaten poison ivy or oak. Brush Control Using Goats - Goats and Nutrition - GoatWorld.Com How fast do they eat? Can you get the whole job done in one trip? It sounds good in theory, though. Let us know what you decide to do!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-03-2017)

Though I dislike the use of poisons and herbicides. Poison Oak is one of the few things I'll spray with a brush/poison oak killer. Have had too many bad experiences with it in the past. Be very careful not only with the leaves but also the sticks and stems anytime of year and make sure to scrub everything down with well soap and cold water when done. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ronmcq For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-03-2017)

Words have left me, please keep us posted!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-03-2017)

No other suggestions. Can you use a fabric type collar and lead that can be washed.

This definitely demands pictures.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-03-2017)

My husband suggested using clothesline instead and tossing it afterwards. I think this is a good plan.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos