Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Just feeling sad

I just got back from taking Kimber on her shortened morning walk and she resisted. There's a sloped part and she just can't keep her back end from going sideways. She has always loved this walk; I've never seen her try to turn back before.

Yesterday, I took her on one of her favorite walking paths. We moseyed for about 25 minutes round trip, with a break for her to dip in the river. She used to love to swim in the river; now, just standing in the gentle current a few feet from the bank wore her out.

This is a dog that used to view 10 mile hikes as a warmup. Even as recently as last summer, she could easily walk two to three miles. Now half a mile is pushing it.

We keep adjusting and adapting to her limitations, but I'm so sad to see her world get smaller and smaller, and to know our time with her is coming to an end. I made a mental list of her favorite activities, and I can't honestly say she can do any of them, not really. She can't run after frisbees, she gets nervous in the car so car rides are no longer a treat, she can't do agility...

It's so hard because she's eating fine, and she still loves to hang out with us. Every day she gives us kisses and smiles.

I hope we can be brave and strong enough not to keep her selfishly for ourselves. I'm very concerned about DH; she is truly his best friend.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

It is sad when they slow down. The memories taunt us. Just remember, Kimber's greatest joy is being with you and loving on you.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-05-2017), Berna (07-05-2017), Blackboy98 (07-05-2017), kimbersmom (07-05-2017), Labradorks (07-07-2017), MontananDakota (07-05-2017), smartrock (07-05-2017), Snowshoe (07-06-2017)

Senior Dog
    I don't know how you take on seniors, Fran. I admire it tremendously.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Berna (07-05-2017)

Amy was with us for almost 15 years but the last two saw her world shrinking as you so aptly describe it. As long as she was eating, drinking and responding to us, we were fine with adapting to her new world, but it was rough on both of us when it was time. In her case, she really only had one bad day. I think you're far from that time yet as you describe it but it still is tough to see and be a part of.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-05-2017), capra (07-14-2017), kimbersmom (07-05-2017), Mollysmomma (07-06-2017), MontananDakota (07-05-2017)

Kimber is just slowing down, plus she had special needs from her prior injury, she is aware of her limitations, so I would follow her cues for now.

Just listen to her, she will tell you when her time is near, you will know. I am so very sorry though, this is the tough part of loving dogs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (07-05-2017), MontananDakota (07-05-2017)

Senior Dog
    Watching our pups slow down truly is saddening...especially if you detect that they'd like to be doing something that they can no longer manage. I wonder if it's harder on us than it is on them...that they're more accepting of changes...but I think that's something I'd just prefer because it would make me feel less sad for them.

It sounds like Kimber still gets to do as much as she can...and that's good. She is given the opportunity to try to do more if she wants.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (07-05-2017)

I am RIGHTTHERE with you I am struggling too. Every time I accept a limitation - things become even more limited. And I know the next 9 weeks will be a struggle as the heat picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    I don't know how you take on seniors, Fran. I admire it tremendously.
    x100 it's amazing

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (07-05-2017), MontananDakota (07-05-2017)

[QUOTE=Tanya;156872]I am RIGHTTHERE with you I am struggling too. Every time I accept a limitation - things become even more limited. And I know the next 9 weeks will be a struggle as the heat picks up.

Me too. Dakota is not far behind and you have put words to my feelings these past few days. I lay on the floor gently stroking her and whispering to her how amazing she is and how thankful I am for her. Especially having lost Montana recently.

Any more thoughts on the helper harness? This is rough. Pop Top is right-if Kimber is happy being with you then that is enough for her. You may have a ways to go with her still and try to make it as happy as you can. I know-easier said than done. Sending love and light.

Having read (and felt the anguish) in the above posts, brings back memories (his 6th anniversary is this Sunday) of when my Cracker was going down. He too would eat good, full of love but was showing signs quickly of not wanting to go on even short walks (I think too much pain and exhaustion).

I am sitting here ( with teary eyes) thinking of the decisions and everyone watching for 'the signs'. Shelley is right in that they will let you know-somehow.

I too don't know how Fran can go thru this except that she has SO MUCH love for the seniors that it is greater than the grief of loss. She is truly an amazing person!!
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-05-2017), Berna (07-05-2017), MontananDakota (07-05-2017)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Watching our pups slow down truly is saddening...especially if you detect that they'd like to be doing something that they can no longer manage. I wonder if it's harder on us than it is on them...that they're more accepting of changes...but I think that's something I'd just prefer because it would make me feel less sad for them.

It sounds like Kimber still gets to do as much as she can...and that's good. She is given the opportunity to try to do more if she wants.
    I agree ... and for what it’s worth, having witnessed the age-related slow down several times, I do think it is much harder on us than on them. Dogs live in the moment, and I don’t think they spend much time on what was or what will be. For us, as long as they could still do things that were enjoyable, such as hanging with us, eating, etc., we didn’t worry about if they could no longer do things they used to like. I mean, I haven’t been able to run for a couple years now and I used to love it, but I have adapted and found other things I can do. I’d hate to think someone would think my time had come just because I can’t run anymore!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Berna (07-05-2017), capra (07-14-2017), Java (07-06-2017), Mollysmomma (07-06-2017), MontananDakota (07-05-2017), smartrock (07-05-2017), SunDance (07-05-2017), Tanya (07-05-2017)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos