Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work...again

Work...again

So this is the place to post when I'm at work & I need to vent about work.
    An employee here has become friends with the owners. Everyone likes this guy, been here about 2 years. I've been here about 6. We do totally different jobs-he's a field supervisor. I am admin. I've always been in my own "dept" I guess you'd say while he has recently become the official head of his. So he is not my boss per se. Just heard one of the owners telling him he will be in charge July 3rd because both owners are going away. What? ok so how do I politely let him know -if he should approach me as such-that he is in fact- NOT my boss? On the 3rd I'm sure we all will want to leave early. If he approaches me to let me know its ok to do so-that would be acting as if he is. Whats a nice way of letting him know he is not? I know it sounds petty, but it matters to me.

I think you would be better off not saying anything to him. If you answer to the owners, and he is standing in for the owners on July 3rd, then you would answer to him as well. "You're not the boss of me", is kind of immature and negative.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

From your description it does not sound like he placed himself in an authority position, you heard the boss tell him he is "standing-in" for them while they are away. I get that you resent that someone with less seniority than you was put in an authority position but to approach him and tell him that he has no authority over you is petty. If it's really a big deal can't you just ask the boss directly ahead of time if you can leave early that day?

So is your "department" a department of one person? If he supervises many and you are a single person department, aside from the owners, maybe that's why they put him "in charge" during their absence. Not as a slight to you but because he already supervises so many of the staff. I think it wouldn't be helpful to be rude to him, he's just doing what his and your bosses asked him to do. Your issue is really with the bosses.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

My bosses usually view me as more or less...on my own and I feel they meant he is in charge of the other field people, not myself however he wouldn't know that because he hasn't known them as long so that's my whole thing-he is isn't really aware that's how they always been with me. I am not full time.....Yes is would be immature to say "you're not the boss of me" and I wouldn't so that is why I'm wondering if there's a nice way of letting him know that I am really kind of on my own over here..

Unless you clarify it with the owners before they leave - he is the boss of you. You heard them say it. It would be ackward for you to put him on the spot at a time when he isn't able to get clarification, either.
    If you want to leave early get permission from the owners in advance so it is a non-issue.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Whatever you say to him, no matter how nice, will probably still sound petty and will probably rub him the wrong way. Smartrock is right, this is a problem with your bosses. I would approach them and nicely clarify everything with them and ask them to make sure the other person is aware.

Sounds like you're sort of equal, so treat him as an equal. Be pro-active about what the bosses plan on the 3rd and ask them. So if he approaches you and says "OK, you can go early", then your response can be something like "Yes, I know. I've already talked to the bosses".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-26-2014)

House Broken
    Why even worry about it when it hasn't even happened? Honestly, don't stress yourself out over something that may not even occur.

Puppy
    This may be a good opportunity to speak with them about having a plan for the office when they both need to be away, in general, not just this specific case. I agree that this is a case where you need to speak to the bosses, not your co-worker, as it is their decision on who is responsible for what in their absence.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos