Thread: "bang 101"

"bang 101"

Aye Mates,
    Time passes so quickly and that constant rate seems hastened when we observe the growth of a young puppy daily. So Miss ALLIE MAE is closing in on 16 weeks old and she is developing quite nicely as a wee gun dog prospect. All said, I told her owner Bill that we would be introducing ALLIE to gun fire conditioning tonight as we met for a training session. Bill looked at me like I had three heads and he said, "really, ye don't think it's too soon"? I state to Bill, "trust me, I have done this before, a lot". Bill laughed nervously and said "I realize you have, but it seems so early". I agreed it was early and said "Bill, we are going to introduce gunfire very slowly, at a distance, and while ALLIE is occupied with something she really enjoys". Enter ALLIE'S Dad TRAD, the wee lass loves him and wants to chase and harass him every moment she can. TRAD will be me main assistant in the introduction of both the gun and water to his pup ALLIE MAE. TRAD and meself are co-conspiritors in the teaching of pups to love learning, becoming self-confident, working through cover, aquatics, and the BANG of gunfire.

So I had Bill take ALLIE off lead and told him we would be going on a long "bolding walk", and that we would just let his pup follow in chase. ALLIE chased TRAD like a bobcat chasing a hare. ALLIE followed TRAD through switchgrass, corn lots, over walls, etc., etc. These "bolding walks" are awesome for building a pup that is self confident and that learns to problem solve. During the walk, I had a 209 primer revolver in me pocket and watching carefully to make certain she was fully focused on TRAD and that there was adequate distance betwixt the gun and the dogs at time of discharge, I would periodically fire a shot whilst watching ALLIE for any signs of aversion to the noise. ALLIE did flash a momentary glance in the direction of the shot source, but quickly went right back to badgering TRAD barely missing a beat. There were no signs of aversion such as a drop or tuck of her tail, flattening of her ears, or cowering for cover or running back to us in a timid manner. As the walk continued so too did the periodic bark of the revolver and ALLIE continued to pay decreasing attention to it - just like we wanted. I also had Bill walk ahead with ALLIE and instructed him to kneel down and feed her some treats whilst I remained a good distance back and fired some shots. The subliminal message being sent to ALLIE is that the report of the gun is a signal that good things are happening. Ultimately there will be a strong connection betwixt gunfire and retrieving birds, the latter being the ultimate reward for a fine gun dog recruit.

I had a grand time tonight as I watched Bill delighting at how well his K9 puppy partner handled the big, bad, bang o' the gun. T'is not that scary at all if properly introduced. Me pleasure in the process is doubled by the fact that ALLIE is the outstanding little pup o' me sire TRAD. So, Bill's fears were put to rest as he watched his pup gain lots of confidence tonight. Seems the confidence for Miss ALLIE was not the only building we did tonight. Trust the ol' DOG WHISTLER me lad, I won't steer ye nor ye pup wrong. T'is slowly we go and we do it right. This process will take some time, but most worthwhile things do.

ALLIE has been introduced to birds (and loved them), we have started introduction to gunfire and we are off to a grand start, soon we will introduce ALLIE to water and her aquatics instructor TRAD will have her swimming like Michael Phelps in no time.

Cheers,
    THE DOG WHISTLER
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p1050212resized-jpg  
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (08-07-2017), JackK (08-07-2017), Meeps83 (08-06-2017)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos