Thread: First Hunt

House Broken

First Hunt

This post might be in the wrong spot, but...

Chief and I need to get out. I missed opening day yesterday because I work on Saturdays and Chief is getting stir crazy. So, while Duke is busy trying to figure out if he is a dog or a doorstop, I'm taking Chief on his first hunt ever (that we know of). Unless he got some training before being rescued, he has no hunting experience. I've cycled a few rounds around him and he didn't seem bothered by it. We think he is just shy of 6 years old. Are there any do's and dont's in this situation? Suggestions? I'm not expecting him to be a field dog, just taking him out for some fresh air and don't want to do anything that might be detrimental.

Thanks, and hopefully I can grab a couple of pics to post
    My boys Duke and Chief
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

Quote Originally Posted by garball View Post
    This post might be in the wrong spot, but...

Chief and I need to get out. I missed opening day yesterday because I work on Saturdays and Chief is getting stir crazy. So, while Duke is busy trying to figure out if he is a dog or a doorstop, I'm taking Chief on his first hunt ever (that we know of). Unless he got some training before being rescued, he has no hunting experience. I've cycled a few rounds around him and he didn't seem bothered by it. We think he is just shy of 6 years old. Are there any do's and dont's in this situation? Suggestions? I'm not expecting him to be a field dog, just taking him out for some fresh air and don't want to do anything that might be detrimental.

Thanks, and hopefully I can grab a couple of pics to post
    Aye Mate,
    You are way off the mark on this. Taking a dog out on his "first hunt" with what is likely zero prior training is simply NOT the way to go. "Cycling a few rounds around him" is not the proper way to condition a dog to gunfire. You need to connect with a retriever club, training group or invest in a training program and adhere to it. NOT being judgmental mind ye, just giving ye me perspective based on nearly 35 years o' working, living, and training with retrievers. If ye do not wish to ruin a potentially good dog you'll heed me advice. I wish ye luck Mate.

Irishwhistler
    Last edited by IRISHWISTLER; 09-03-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

garball (09-05-2017), Tanya (09-03-2017)

Agree with the above.

have you done any retrieving work? Any recall work? distraction work?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

garball (09-05-2017), IRISHWISTLER (09-03-2017)

House Broken
    I hate to say this, but the arrival time for the hunt got pushed up and I had to hurry home from Mass to change clothes and grab my gear before reading y'alls advice. Chief went with me and was a great Labrador watcher. He didn't flinch at all around the gunfire, but he wasn't about to let an icky bird in his mouth. Actually, I think he likes me less after seeing me kill another animal.

Our trainer said he was too old to be trained as a gun dog and I never had the intention of trying to make him one; I came into their lives too late. Maybe our next round of Labs can start training for the hunt as pups. Anyway, this pretty much sums up Chief's day watching me pick up my own birds:
    -5-jpg
    My boys Duke and Chief
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

• The Following User Says Thank You to garball For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (09-05-2017)

Good looking dog. Labs are so multifaceted, you'll be able to find some activity to work on with him. Since basics are... well, basic... for retriever training, get a handle on working your dog thoroughly on obedience. You can't be over-prepared for that phase.

Beautiful dog!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

•  

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos