Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just curious -- at what age does a breeder know a puppy is show material?

I am just wondering how they can tell -- they all look like such fat, darling lovebugs to me! At what age can someone in the know start to assess which puppies might be of show quality, and how?
    thanks,
    -e

House Broken
    I think most breeders will assess around 6-8 weeks to decide which pups to keep/send to show homes and which will go to pet homes.

My understanding is 8 weeks.

I don't believe that anyone can know at such a young age how the puppy will develop. They can only choose puppies who they believe may have a potential to be show quality dogs one day. Show quality puppies don't exist.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-27-2014), Tanya (06-27-2014)

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    We look at the litter as they are growing but at 8 weeks a true evaluation of all pups is done. Usually with a group of breeders. Show potential pups do exist but it is an educated decision on which pups to keep for show. The pups continue to change weekly as they grow and some things change for the better and others don't. Some things can go off and then correct as the pup grows.

There are many things to look at; movement, balance, bite, top line, tail set, rear angle, turn of stifle, depth of chest, spring of rib, layback of shoulders, reach of neck, shape of head from occiput to nose and ear to ear, length of ears, etc.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowco Labradors For This Useful Post:

Jimbo B (07-02-2014), kerplunk105 (06-28-2014)

Sometimes you see it right away, sometimes you have to wait. Some say that what you see at 8 weeks is the same as what you'll see as an adult. Not always true.

And then there was the breeder who had puppy reunion parties at age 7 months. At these parties she would hand out the CKC registration papers. Or not, for the puppies she changed her mind on and decided to keep after all. Hearsay, but ....

6-8wks. BUT that's a breeder that knows how there lines "usually" develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    And then there was the breeder who had puppy reunion parties at age 7 months. At these parties she would hand out the CKC registration papers. Or not, for the puppies she changed her mind on and decided to keep after all. Hearsay, but ....
    Wow. I would never agree to purchase a puppy under those circumstances. I've had Jax less than 2 weeks and I'm sorry, but his breeder isn't getting him back even if he turns out to be the best example of a chocolate dog ever in the history of the world.

I think I've read some breeders might keep a particular pup for a few extra weeks if they think the puppy might be a good show prospect but aren't certain. If the puppy doesn't prove to have "it", they can be offered as a pet.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos