Thread: Digging

Digging

Any tips on stopping digging? She has a certain spot where she is digging. I take her away from it and scold and she goes right back.

You could provide her with a small kiddie pool with sand for digging and re-direct. Make her super tired and do some training -- maybe she's bored or needs more stimulation? Make sure she is always supervised while outside or she will come up with some fun games of her own (bad habits, usually). Tether her to you while you are outside and when she does it, correct and give her a different option like fetching or chasing a flirt pole. You need to give her other options, like a baby. For example if you have a kid coloring on a wall, you'd correct the behavior and offer paper instead, or something else to do.

Mine will dig in one spot in the yard, especially when it's not out, and even though they have a kiddie pool. They are never outside unsupervised. The spot is at the base of a tree. I ended up laying down some wire fencing and covering it with large rocks, so it's kinda decorative. Any digging in that spot would not get them very far and would be uncomfortable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (06-28-2014), Maxx&Emma (06-28-2014)

Cover it. We did the same thing as Labradorks and it stopped the digging. Well, except for those pesky chipmunks that the dogs were after...

You could even make the spot into her own private sandbox. Build a frame dig down just a little to get rid of grass roots and fill with sand. You can even hide some toys in there to encourage digging there. If it's a spot that is really not appropriate in the yard, start up a new spot.

Some have luck with this and you having a pup, you can train her to use only that spot. Mardie, our 11 year old, still will dig occasionally. We tried a sandbox but no luck.

Her own poop in the hole worked for me. She just dug another hole but when she picked a place I didn't care about I stopped putting poop in.

Senior Dog
    Usually they start digging when unoccupied and need more playtime! All good advice as above.

I agree with letting her dig. Like others have said make a box or a specific area for her.

We built a sand box for ours. He used it a lot when he was a puppy. We trained him to that area. Since turning one he doesn't really dig much now.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos