Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car hammocks?

Senior Dog

Car hammocks?

DH recently got a F150 Crew Cab and we're looking at car hammocks for the backseat area for Kimber. Here's a contender: Amazon.com : Petego Dog Car Seat Protector Hammock, Gray, X-Large : Automotive Pet Seat Covers : Pet Supplies

Kimber's always just ridden in the back seat of my car, so this hammock idea is new for us. For those of you who have used hammocks, what has been your experience? Also, Kimber's back end is still a bit weak; do you think she would struggle maneuvering in it? And finally, DH will be lifting her in and out- any problems that you foresee with the hammock?
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

We use hammocks in our Hyundai Sonatas, I like them. It is easy for the dogs to get in and out, and comfy for them. I actually need to get my own, I just keep stealing my husbands...might have to consider the one in your link!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014)

My only issue with them is what is being used to actually secure the dog for their safety? A hammock will do nothing if you are involved in any type of accident. Do you also use a crate or restraint system with the hammock?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014), Sam I Am (06-29-2014)

The problem I found is that they are made for a car. My truck is a smaller truck (Nissan Frontier) and they don't go across well enough with the seat folded up. I bought TWO and have one to cover the seat and one to furry keep back seat drivers in the back seat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014)

We have this one from Duluth Trading. It fits perfect in my Camry. I don't know how it would fit in a truck. Seat Protector - Scout's Seat Saver - Duluth Trading
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014)

We tried few but none really worked for us so the dogs ended up in the boot in plastic dog beds and that works for us but we've got big estate car.

Senior Dog
    I have one but it is only designed more to cover the whole back seat and prevent any dog hair escaping into every part of the car. It works really well for it! The dog still needs to be restrained and there is a hole or slit so you can still use the car restraint. The hammock actually just rests on the back seat like a blanket, it's not suspended in air.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014), Maxx&Emma (06-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    I have one but it is only designed more to cover the whole back seat and prevent any dog hair escaping into every part of the car. It works really well for it! The dog still needs to be restrained and there is a hole or slit so you can still use the car restraint. The hammock actually just rests on the back seat like a blanket, it's not suspended in air.
    Got it, thanks! Most of the people I see using them are not using any type of restraint for their dog's safety. It makes me cringe!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

The car one won't work in our F150 (4 doors). The seats are too far apart (front and back). You could use the restraint that attaches to the handles at the roof. That allows the dog to.walk back and forth but still restrained.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014)

I bought a cheap one ($15 on Amazon) just to see if it would work. I only drove down our driveway with Molly unrestrained to see what she would do. She was in the front seat by the time we got to the end of the driveway. So I mostly just it as a seat cover, and it's waterproof, which of course you need with a Lab! So she still rides in the back seat in her harness and I only use the half of the hammock to cover the seat.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly524 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-29-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos