House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)

Update on Zachary

I've been busy with KU's Endacott Society activities and haven't been on here for awhile but several things have happened recently that I'd like to share.

Zach and I were using a "bumper" that I got during Puff, My Magic Lab's lifetime but a week ago, we were walking one of the trails at the nearby "Mutt Run" dog park operated by the city of Lawrence, KS (the best dog park I've ever seen), and I tried to sling the dummy over some trees -- but it was not a good throw because it got caught in some thorny branches about 25 feet up. And that was our last dummy.

So, I got on the internet and ordered 2 B&W and one orange dummy from Gun Dog Supply -- they sell the best ones I've ever had, never a broken one through the lifetimes of 2 Labs and a couple years of Zach -- and they came today with cords already attached!! So Zach and I'll be able to practice his retrieving again. (We walk 1¼ miles every morning and night to & from a middle school that has a fenced-in football field surrounded by an 1/8th mile 5-lane running track. There are gates at each of the nearest corners. I sling a dummy over the chain link fence surrounding it onto the track and Zach runs all the way back to the gate, enters, runs to pick up the dummy, and then runs to and through the other gate to meet me (as I've been continuing my walk). We do variations of this 3X on each walk we take and it's good exercise for him.

One other thing I might mention -- Zach had been doing a lot of licking and nibbling at certain sections of skin on his stomach. I took him to the vets at KSU's CollVetMed where we saw a dermatologist and she prescribed Apoquel pills. Taking one of those daily helps a lot.

OH! One other thing -- I got a sunroof installed on my new-to-me 2012 Prius plus side windowdeflectors -- now I can leave Zach in the car while I go in shopping for 10 or 15 minutes with the side windows and sun roof partially opened and return to find him still comfortable. (And those additions more fully justify my car's personalized license plates: ZAX CAB )

I've got nothing to say bad about Gun Dog Supply. They've been super. And their prices are way (at least on bumpers) is way better than any retail place I've ever seen. I've bought whistles, bumpers, heeling sticks, holding blinds, and a very expensive remote winger (about 900$).

Zach sounds like a way fun dog.

I second the vote for GDS. Steve and his staff are tops!

Senior Dog
    Nice to see you again...I'm sure Zach is enjoying his perks.

Love your license plate.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos